Changes to citizenship legislation

Children born abroad to a Canadian mother / father*

(*for children born on or after April 17, 2009, the Canadian mother or father must have been born in Canada or must have been granted Canadian citizenship after immigrating to Canada.)

If you are a Canadian citizen and would like to apply for a certificate of Canadian citizenship for your child born abroad, please click here to download form CIT0001.

The application must be supported by the following documents (original and photocopy):

  1. The child's birth certificate + a translation into English or French by a sworn translator.
  2. The mother's and/or father's proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or citizenship card). The father or mother must have been Canadian at the time of the child's birth.
  3. Child's id (DNI, passport)
  4. Citizenship photos (instructions in Spanish for the photographer). Photos instructions are attached to the form. It is your responsibility to check that the photos comply with the specifications. Please note that specifications differ from those of passport photos..
  5. Fee

Processing time: 12/14 months

Please note that if your child was born in Argentina, he/she will have to leave the country on an Argentine passport. Please note that Argentine children are subject to local regulations applicable to the exit of minors from Argentina.

For additional information on citizenship, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Consular Section (Services for Canadians) and hours of operation

Are you satisfied with our consular services?