New or Replacement Passports for Adults


Canadians residing in or travelling in the ACT, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia, Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, the Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Guam, Northern Marianas, or Palau should send their application to the Canadian High Commission in Canberra.

Canadians requiring passport services who reside in or are travelling in New South Wales, Queensland or the Northern Territory should send their application to the Canadian Consulate General in Sydney.

The passport program has experienced an unprecedented influx of applications as a result of the new requirement for dual citizens to travel to Canada using their Canadian passports. At present, passport applications are taking an average of 30 business days. We appreciate the patience of all those who have had to wait longer than usual to get their passport back. We are working diligently to get through the backlog.

IRCC, the Government of Canada, or any representative of the Government of Canada will not be liable for any loss as a result of or arising out of the passport not being delivered in time for you or your child to travel. We recommend that applicants do not finalize any travel plans until receipt of the requested passport.

Applications to obtain new or replacement passports can either be downloaded and printed from the internet, picked up from our offices, or may be mailed to you.

Download the PPTC 040 Adult Passport Application (Abroad) - (PDF*, 399 KB).

Canadians living abroad who meet specific eligibility criteria may apply for a new Canadian passport through the simplified renewal application process.   Download the Adult Simplified Renewal Abroad Passport Application (PDF*, 372 KB).  The fees and processing times are the same as for a regular passport application.

The normal processing time for new passports is 20 working days after submission of a fully completed application with supporting documentation

Canadian passports are issued for a maximum period of five or ten years (for an adult 16 years of age or over) and five years (for a child under 16 years of age). There are no extensions beyond the five or 10 year validity.

When your current passport has expired, is within 12 months of expiring, or if all visa pages are full, you should apply for a new passport as some countries require 6 months validity on your current passport before permitting you to enter. If you do not have upcoming plans for travel, you may submit an application for a new Canadian passport at any time allowing 20 working days for processing.

Please submit the following to obtain a new passport:

  • One completed Adult Passport Application (PPTC 040) for applicants over 16 years of age
  • Original proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate)
  • Your most recent Canadian passport (not applicable for first time applicants)
  • Two identical passport photographs(the back of one photo must be certified and signed by your guarantor and must include the name and address of the photographer and the date the photo was taken)
  • At least one valid document to support identity. Please note the signature on your document to support identity must be identical to the signature on your passport application.
  • The non-refundable processing fee

Applications may be submitted:

  • in person in Canberra during the hours of 09:00 - 16:00, Monday to Friday
  • The Consulate General of Canada in Sydney will provide consular services on an appointment basis only. Please note that this service is only available to Canadian citizens requiring consular service.
  • by MAIL (please ensure that you provide your local contact details so that we can reach you to clarify information about your application, if required)

Please note that if you apply by mail AND require your new passport and original supporting documents returned to you via mail, you must include a self-addressed pre-paid envelope.  Our office does not pay for return mail.  In addition, we will not use regular post to return passports and supporting documents as the envelope must be signed for upon delivery to you.  We recommend that you use registered post envelope (no smaller than Australia Post B4 size) for regular delivery service. 

If you require urgent delivery, you can use an Express Post envelope (no smaller than Australia Post Medium C5) with a “signature on delivery” sticker or pre-paid courier (no smaller than C5 envelope/satchel).  

You must include one envelope for each application (i.e., 4 applications require 4 return envelopes).

If you do not include a self-addressed envelope as outlined above, your passport will be held for you to collect in person at our office. You must collect your passport within 10 weeks from receipt of the complete application, after which passports are sent to Canada for safekeeping and additional delays will be involved.

I do not have documentary proof of Canadian citizenship. What can I do?

If you do not have your proof of Canadian citizenship or if you have lost your proof of Canadian citizenship, you should have the document replaced as soon as possible and, if possible, defer your immediate travel plans. After you have submitted for a replacement of your proof of Canadian citizenship, if your travel plans cannot be deferred, you may submit a fully completed passport application along with all other supporting documentation as well as your proof of need for travel. Our passport officers will assess your case and determine the necessity of issuing a limited validity passport to meet your travel needs. Limited validity passports issued after February 1st, 2009, cannot be extended. Please provide your proof of travel, itinerary and/or airline ticket, as supporting documentation to assess your case.

Did you acquire citizenship of another country before February 15, 1977? What does that mean?

Prior to enactment of the existing Citizenship Act, which became effective on February 15, 1977, it was possible to lose Canadian citizenship if you acquired citizenship of another country either by birth or through naturalization. At that time, there was no recognition of "dual citizenship." Therefore, you are required to answer this question in order to provide information on your current citizenship status.

For example: If you were born in Australia in 1965 and you became a Canadian citizen in 1979, your answer to this question would be "Yes" and you would place a check mark in the box next to "By Birth." Your answer is "Yes" because at the time of your birth, you were not a Canadian citizen and you did not become a Canadian citizen until 1979. Therefore, you must have been a citizen of another country before February 15, 1977. The effective date of acquiring that citizenship would be "By Birth" (your birth date).

* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page.