Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Discover Canada

Supplemental content

  • Quota: 11,350
    Working Holiday places remaining: 233
    Updated: 21/10/2014
  • Quota: 100
    Young Professionals places remaining: 65
    Updated: 21/10/2014
  • Quota: 50
    International Co-op places remaining: 43
    Updated: 21/10/2014

International Experience Canada for Citizens of Australia – Travel and Work in Canada

Make your working holiday dream a reality! International Experience Canada gives you the information you need to travel and work in Canada for up to two years

International Experience Canada 2014 will open on Friday, January 10th, 2014, at 7:00 a.m. Sydney time (January 9th, 15:00 Ottawa time). OPEN

New for IEC 2014:

The application process to participate in the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative will be conducted in two stages:

  • IEC Assessment: to determine whether you meet the IEC eligibility criteria. Stage 1 will be conducted completely online through an IEC Kompass account. All supporting documents will have to be submitted electronically through your IEC Kompass account. Applications by post will not be accepted.

  • An assessment in accordance with Canadian immigration law and regulations. If your application is accepted at stage 1, an IEC conditional acceptance letter will be sent to you. In order to begin step 2, you will then be directed to submit an application for a work permit to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) using a MyCIC account. Please be advised that as of August 19th, 2014, Conditional Acceptance Letters will only be valid for 15 days. If the CIC assessment is positive, CIC will send you a Letter of Introduction in your CIC account.

If you have obtained information from a secondary source concerning the IEC initiative, please note that only the information posted on our website should be relied on.

You've dreamed of spending a year living and working in Canada. Maybe you want to gain valuable international work experience in a bilingual across Canada while working at stops along the way...or simply intern abroad for your next co-op work placement.


Did you know that the Government of Canada has an arrangement with the Government of Australia to make it easier to do just that?

Through International Experience Canada, you can apply for a temporary work permit to travel and work in Canada for up to two years. Previous participants may re-apply as long as they meet the criteria and requirements at the time of their new application.

International Experience Canada

International Experience Canada enables Australian citizens between the ages of 18 and 30 to:

  • stay in Canada for up to two years;
  • legally work in Canada;
  • experience another culture.

Get started today – Choose your experience!

Photo Credits:
Ski in British Columbia: Canadian Tourism Commission
Explore Canada’s Parks: New Brunswick Department of Tourism and Parks
Work and travel in Quebec City: Canadian Tourism Commission
Northern Lights in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories: Canadian Tourism Commission


Date Modified: