International Co-op (Internship)
Why not intern in Canada?
Eligibility Criteria for the International Co-op (Internship) Category
The International Co-op (Internship) category is designed for Latvian citizens who are registered students at a post-secondary institution in Latvia and who intend to complete an internship or work placement in Canada (maximum 12 months) in order to fulfill part of their academic curriculum.
To be eligible for the International Co-op (Internship) category, you must:
- be a Latvian citizen residing in Latvia at the time of application;
- be between the ages of 18 and 35 (inclusive);
- have the equivalent of C$2,500 to help cover your expenses involved at the beginning of your stay;
- be prepared to take out health-care insurance for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada;
- pay participation fee that is equivalent to C$150 in Latvian lats (LVL);
- be registered as a student in Latvia;
- have received a signed letter of offer or contract for a work placement or internship in Canada that meets the requirements of your academic curriculum in Latvia; and
- not have participated in the International Co-op (Internship) category before. As a Latvian citizen, you may participate in International Experience Canada only twice and each time under a different category. There must be 12 months between the end of your work permit in Canada, and the date you submit your application to IEC.
For more information: