Canada Fund for Local Initiatives: Call for Proposals 2017 - 2018
For over three decades, Canadian embassies have funded modest development assistance projects in developing countries through the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI). The CFLI is a program that supports small projects proposed and implemented by local NGOs and other grassroots organizations such as village councils, cooperatives and women’s groups. This enables Canada to respond to local needs by working at the community level. Equally important, the CFLI serves to strengthen Canada’s relationships with civil society and local communities and to build networks of contacts in countries around the world.
To be considered for support by the CFLI, we are looking for project proposals that would have a budget of approximately CAD 15,000 – CAD 25,000 (approx. BDT 9,00,000 - 1,500,000), but proposals up to CAD 30,000 (approx. BDT 1,800,000) can be considered in some cases. Projects should be implemented in a relative short period, from September 2017 to February 2018 , and should be completed by 28 February 2018. In order to be considered, proposals must be strongly aligned with the fund’s strategic priorities. Within Bangladesh, CFLI will prioritize:
- Championing peaceful pluralism, and respect for diversity within the thematic area of freedom of religion
- Championing human rights, inclusive and accountable governance, democracy within the thematic focus of freedom of media.
All projects will be subject to funding approval from the Non-Governmental Organizations Affairs Bureau of the Government of Bangladesh.
* By pluralism and diversity, we mean proposals that will support and enhance social harmony and tolerance for minority groups (ethnic, religious, cultural, sexual orientation, etc.) and enable those minority groups to fully participate in society.
What is the deadline for applications to be received?
The deadline for application is 20 June 2017. All applications received will then be reviewed on a competitive basis and in consideration of the alignment of the proposed projects to the Fund’s strategic priorities. Applications received after the 20 June 2017 deadline may be considered in a second round if there is funding still available after decisions have been taken on the first round of applications.
How Do I Apply?
Applicants must use the prescribed application form. Applications may be submitted in either hard copies or soft copies:
- Soft copies: please send an electronic copy of the duly filled out application form to the CFLI Coordinator at DHAKA.CFLI.FCIL@gmail.com with copy toDHAKADA@international.gc.ca
- Hard copies: if you are unable to send a soft copy, please send the duly filled out application form to the Canadian High Commission Dhaka, addressed to Farzana Sultana, and writing “CFLI Application” on the envelope.
Who are Eligible to Apply?
- All applicants either should have NGO Affairs Bureau registration or partner with an NGO that has NGOAB registration;
- Local non-governmental, community and not-for-profit organizations;
- Local academic institutions working on local projects and professional association;
Examples of Eligible Costs
- administrative and overhead costs related to the project;
- implementation of activities, capacity building, training;
- installation, maintenance, and/or transportation costs, computers and communication devices;
- conference and event expenditures (including hospitality costs, but excluding alcoholic beverages);
- outreach, communication and information dissemination costs; and
- salary costs related to the project.
Examples of Ineligible Costs
- core funding or recurrent costs of an organization, including salary of individuals not working directly on the project;
- gifts, funding of international travel, international conference costs
- luxury goods;
- direct fiscal support to a government; and
- expenses incurred prior to the signing of the contribution agreement.
- Date Modified: