Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Discover Canada

International Experience Canada for Citizens of Belgium – Travel and Work in Canada

Make your working holiday dream a reality! International Experience Canada gives you the information you need to Travel and Work in Canada for up to one year.


The 2015 IEC season will not open before January 2015. Be assured that opening information will be posted on the IEC website as it becomes available. We ask that eligible participants from IEC countries and Canadian employers refrain from contacting the IEC team as it will not have any information available before it appears on the IEC website. Please continue to check the IEC website for updates and any details on the 2015 opening.

If you wish to explore other options for coming to Canada, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.

750 places available in 2014!

Kompass Update

Please Note:
You must enter your Family and Given Name(s), passport number and date of birth into your application, as shown in your passport. Any applications submitted on December 18th, 2013 or at a later date, will be refused if the names, passport number or date of birth do not match the information written in your passport. The date of birth must be entered in the format requested in the IEC form no matter what the format is in your passport.


IEC processes applications on a first-come, first-served basis. If you withdraw your application, you will lose your place in line.

  • If you resubmit your application, you will be at the end of the line.
  • If the quota is closed or there are no spaces available, you will not be able to re-submit.
  • If you have already paid, IEC will reimburse your fee.

New for IEC 2014:

The application process to participate in the International Experience Canada (IEC) initiative will be conducted in two stages:

  • IEC Assessment: to determine whether you meet the IEC eligibility criteria. Stage 1 will be conducted completely online through an IEC Kompass account. All supporting documents will have to be submitted electronically through your IEC Kompass account. Applications by post will not be accepted.

  • An assessment in accordance with Canadian immigration law and regulations. If your application is accepted at stage 1, an IEC conditional acceptance letter will be sent to you. In order to begin step 2, you will then be directed to submit an application for a work permit to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) using a MyCIC account. Please be advised that as of August 19th, 2014, Conditional Acceptance Letters will only be valid for 15 days. If the CIC assessment is positive, CIC will send you a Letter of Introduction in your CIC account.

Please note that it is not possible to create either an IEC Kompass account or a MyCIC account as long as the 2014 IEC initiative with Belgium has not been opened.

Whether it is concerning the new procedure of applying on-line, the eligibility criteria, the required documents, the quotas or the opening date; no additional information regarding the 2014 IEC initiative is available at the moment.

If you have obtained information from a secondary source concerning the IEC initiative, please note that only the information posted on our website should be relied on.

You’ve always dreamed of spending a year living and working in Canada. Travel across Canada while working at stops along the way.

Did you know that the Government of Canada has an agreement with the Government of Belgium to make it easier to do just that?

Through International Experience Canada, you can apply for a temporary work permit to travel and work in Canada for up to one year.

International Experience Canada

International Experience Canada enables Belgian citizens between the ages of 18 and 30 to:

  • stay in Canada for up to one year;
  • legally work in Canada;
  • experience another culture.

Get started today - Choose your Working Holiday!

Photo Credits:
Ski in British Columbia: Canadian Tourism Commission
Explore Canada’s Parks: New Brunswick Department of Tourism and Parks
Work and travel in Quebec City: Canadian Tourism Commission
Northern Lights in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories: Canadian Tourism Commission


Date Modified: