Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Discover Canada
  4. >
  5. Visas and Immigration

Studying in Canada

There are more than 150,000 international students who go to Canada every year to study. International students bring a rich culture to our classrooms. Your knowledge and skills are welcome in our schools.

  • Canadian universities are among the best in the world.
  • Tuition fees for international students in Canada, and the cost of living, are among the lowest in the world.
  • Eligible students can gain valuable Canadian work experience through off campus employment.
  • Canada is a multicultural country. Regardless of your ethnic origin, you will feel at home in Canada.
  • According to the United Nations, Canada offers one of the highest standards for quality of life in the world.

Once you have been accepted at a school in Canada, find out what you need to know about applying for a Study Permit. Most students need a study permit.

Information specific to participants in the Science Without Borders (SWB) program.

You should basically follow the instructions in the weblink above. Some instructions however are particular to participants in the SWB program:

If you are doing a period of language training, followed by a period of formal studies, followed by a traineeship:

  • You will need both a Study Permit and a Work Permit. In order to apply, you need to submit and pay ONLY an application for a Study Permit. The processing of the Work Permit is included in the processing of the Study Permit.
  • As evidence of financial support, you need to provide only a copy of the letter from the CNPq or the CBIE (International Bureau of International Education), or CAPES or the ACCC (Association of Community colleges of Canada) confirming your scholarship.
  • If you are going to study in the Province of Quebec, you will also require a Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ). In order to avoid a delay in the processing of your application, you should submit your application without the CAQ (if you don’t already have one) and forward a copy of your CAQ later.
  • All participants who will spend more than 6 months in Canada will have to undergo a medical examination. You can undergo up-front medicals if you wish to accelerate the visa process. You must consult a Designated Panel Physician. A complete list of doctors is available at the CIC website.

If you are going to Canada to do only a traineeship (without a period of study), you should submit an application for a Work Permit and pay the processing fees for a Work Permit.

Related sites                                                   

Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada: represents 91 Canadian public and private not-for-profit universities and university-degree level colleges.

Association of Canadian Community Colleges: represents colleges and institutes to government, business and industry, both in Canada and internationally.



Supplemental content


Date Modified: