Chef at the Official Residence (Indeterminate Employment)
Title: Chef at the Official Residence
Section: Head of Mission – Embassy of Canada in Bogota
Schedule of work: 48 hours per week
Duration: Indeterminate employment
Anticipated start date: December /2017
Monthly salary: 2,631,757 Colombian pesos plus social benefits
Eligibility: This position is open to:
- Persons who currently reside in Colombia, who hold current documentation allowing them to work in Colombia, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date;
- Spouses and Dependants of Canadian Based Staff of the Embassy of Canada in Colombia who are currently residing in Colombia, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date; and
- Employees of the Embassy who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date.
Summary of Duties
Under the general direction of the Head of Mission (HOM) and/or his spouse, the incumbent acts as a Chef at the Official Residence, by:
- Managing the planning, creation, preparation and cooking of all meals and hospitality of the Official Residence events, in accordance with applicable nutritional standard, while minimizing waste of ingredients;
- Being responsible for identifying food requirements and doing the shopping accordingly;
- Following all safe food handling standards, including cleanliness of the kitchen area, correct handling of raw meat and poultry and adequate washing of all fruits and vegetables;
- Maintaining the kitchen area, appliances, kitchen cupboards and drawers and family eating area in clean and hygienic order;
- Providing cost estimates for food and supply purchases for events, liaising with other program’s representatives on anticipated costs and maintaining a separate consumption journals for each event;
- Collecting receipts, carrying out cleaning, and proper storage of household groceries;
- Overseeing and/or assisting with all event services at the Official Residence including the re-arrangement of furniture and the setting up and setting of tables for official receptions and events; and
- Performing other duties as required.
Please note that failure to meet any of the essential qualifications eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition.
- Completed studies at College or Technical level in Cuisine / Culinary AND/OR an acceptable combination of education, training and work experience related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position.
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish. Knowledge of either English or French will be considered as an asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
- The candidate must have excellent knowledge of modern and international cuisine with innovative menus and meals, as well as proper techniques for safe and adequate food handling.
- The candidate must demonstrate at least two (2) years of recent* experience performing the duties related to the position in multinational organizations, diplomatic missions or well-recognized restaurants, hotels and catering companies.
*Recent being defined as within the last five (5) years
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications:
- Previous experience working with a diplomatic mission.
- Knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada (English or French).
- Of modern and international cuisine.
- Of innovative menus and meals for all occasions.
- Of techniques for safe food handling.
- Of basic Microsoft Office applications.
- Plan and prepare a variety of meals and menus according to specific dietary requirements from hosts and guests including vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, etc.
- Work effectively within a team with a strong sense of cooperation.
- Able to take on various tasks and duties simultaneously as well as respond to last minute requests.
- Able to demonstrate judgement and resourcefulness in solving simple problems.
- Able to communicate effectively with colleagues.
- Very strong client focus orientation.
- Resourcefulness, proactivity and organization in his/her daily work.
- High sense of discretion and judgement.
- Effective interpersonal relations, courtesy and tact.
- Honesty and integrity.
- Adaptability and flexibility.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Hours of work will be 48 hours per week, from Monday to Friday with possibility to work overtime frequently.
- As part of the competition process, the receipt of satisfactory employment references and the ability to obtain and maintain security screening at the Reliability Status level, including a criminal and credit reference check, will be required.
- Successful candidate must have the required documentation allowing the right to work in Colombia. Documentation will be required.
Conditions of Employment
Note: The Embassy of Canada does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interview nor does it reimburse any relocation costs. The Embassy of Canada does not sponsor work permit applications on behalf of candidates
In order to apply for this competition, you must send your application to the Human Resources Officer at Embassy of Canada in Bogota, Carrera 7 No. 114 – 33 14th floor, or by e-mail at email@example.com before the closing date.
Applications should be clearly marked Competition 2017-HOM-12 – Chef at the Official Residence.
Candidates must provide:
- A current curriculum vitae / resume.
- A copy of the Diploma in Cuisine / Culinary studies.
We will only contact applicants selected for next steps in this competition.
To be part of the competition, all applications must be received by the Human Resources Office no later than Wednesday, October 18th at 1700 hours. Applications received after this date and time will not be accepted.
Bogota, October 2nd, 2017.
- Date Modified: