Message from the Ambassador
I am honoured to represent Canada in Colombia. Canada has much to offer this great country. Canada has one of the highest standards of living in the world, and is consistently rated as a global leader in quality of life. Our country is a world leader in innovation, education and technology. Canada is a major market, and source of global investment. We have built a tolerant and inclusive society, where people from all over the world are welcome. Mobility between our two countries is easier than ever, and young Colombians interested in studying in Canada now have increased opportunities. I look forward to working with the creative youth of Colombia, and introducing them to what Canada has to offer, especially in terms of education.
Canada is convinced that Colombia in peace will realize its extraordinary potential. Our goals in Colombia are to increase economic opportunity, strengthen security and institutions, and promote human rights. As like-minded-countries, Canada and Colombia have succeeded in broadening our relationship.
We have worked together to:
- Strengthen our mutual prosperity through an innovative free trade agreement.
- Promote peace and development in Colombia through post-conflict support programs.
- Reduce poverty for thousands through a diverse development-assistance program.
- Increase mobility and people-to-people relationships between our peoples.
- Enhance our mutual security by working together to combat transnational crime and terrorism.
- Advance regional and international cooperation in areas such as climate change and peace operations.
As Colombia moves towards a comprehensive peace settlement the prospects for an enduring peace and enhanced economic development are stronger than ever. My team and I look forward to working with our Colombians friends to build this important relationship, as well as with the Pacific Alliance, a regional integration block formed by Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru with which Canada held a first round of free trade negotiations October 23-27, 2017, in Cali, Colombia.
I hope you will enjoy our website which is designed to provide you with useful information about how can connect with Canada. I also invite you to follow me on Twitter @marcel_lebleu
Ambassador of Canada in Colombia
B.Sc., Montreal University/University of Massachusetts) and completed the coursework of the M.Sc. Management program of the « École des Hautes Études Commerciales » (affiliated to Montreal University). He is also a "Certified International Trade Professional" (FITT).
Following assignments in Cameroon, Costa Rica, Argentina and Spain as Commercial Counsellor, he was appointed Director and Senior Trade Commissioner of the Quebec Regional office of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade. He was subsequently appointed Director General for Regional Operations and Intergovernmental Affairs in 2013. He served as Canada’s Ambassador to Chile (2015–2017) before being appointed Ambassador to Colombia in August 2017.
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal – 2013
- "Employer of the year – Department of Foreign Affairs Regional Office" awarded by the "Forum for International Trade Training" – 2011
- Date Modified: