Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Discover Canada

Visa and Immigration

Important announcement

The visa application centre (VAC) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, is now open and ready to accept applications!  The VAC is located at Bole Kefle Ketema, Kebele 02, Africa Avenue, Erkata Building, Addis Ababa. Find out how to submit your temporary resident or permanent resident travel document application through the VAC. Visit the CIC website for more information on VACs.

As of November 29, the Canadian Embassy in Addis Ababa will no longer be accepting visa applications for onward transmission to the visa office in Nairobi, Kenya.

The Visa Section of the High Commission of Canada to Kenya is responsible for processing visa applications for citizens and residents of Ethiopia and Djibouti.

Ethiopia and Djibouti citizens require a visa to enter Canada as a visitor. If you are a citizen of another country, check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website to see if you require a visa to enter Canada.

If you are citizen of Ethiopia or Djibouti or if you are legally residing in those countries, visit the official website of the Visa Section of the High Commission of Canada to Kenya for information about visa and immigration services and to download application forms.

A transit visa is required for travel through Canada to another country by those persons who need a temporary resident visa and whose flight will stop in Canada for less than 48 hours.  To obtain a transit visa you must provide specific evidence of your travel arrangements from your transportation company or travel agent. 

If you wish to enquire about the status of your application, you should contact the Visa Section of the High Commission of Canada to Kenya where all applications are processed and finalized.


Date Modified: