Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling in France

Obtain a Certified Criminal Record Check

To obtain a Certified Criminal Record Check valid internationally you must follow the procedure listed by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP); documents issued by local police are often not recognized abroad. It can be difficult to obtain this document from outside Canada; we recommend that you apply for this document while you are still in Canada or during a visit.

If you are currently outside Canada and seeking to obtain this document, you will have to get yourself fingerprinted by a national police service; while this can be difficult in France, other countries do accept to do that. You can obtain your fingerprints on the official form used by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (C216C) or on another document that includes: rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers taken with black ink, full name, date of birth and sex of the applicant, the name, address of the police agency and the signature of the official taking the fingerprints. Please note that the Consular services of the Embassy of Canada in Paris does not offer fingerprinting services and is not able to inform you about an ongoing file.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police do not accept application on paper. To submit the application electronically, you will have to contact one of the accredited private companies that will process the conversion of your file electronically to obtain the Certified Criminal Record Check. You will find the detailed procedure step by step on the website of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).

If your request is concerning a criminal record check in the US (FBI), please refer to the instruction of the website of the Embassy of United States of America in France.


Date Modified: