Adult passport application presented outside of Canada /
Adults 16 years of age or over – PPTC040
For your first passport application or for a passport renewal, complete the form PPTC040 entitled “Adult Abroad General Passport Application for Canadians 16 years of age or over applying outside of Canada”.You may download the form with this link.
Verify if you qualify for Simplified Renewal by consulting the following link: criteria for Simplified Renewal. If you qualify, you may complete the form PPTC482 entitled “Adult Abroad Simplified Renewal” available on this link.
Please read the instructions that accompany the applications carefully.
The following video will assist you in completing your application.
For all applications that are not Simplified Renewal you must have a guarantor.
New policy effective December 9th, 2013:
Modifications have been made to the list of eligible guarantors for passport applications submitted abroad. Please consult Passport Canada website for more details.
If you have been living in France or the Principality of Monaco for less than two years and you do not qualify for simplified renewal, you must complete the “Declaration in lieu of a Guarantor” form (PPTC132). Please contact the Consular Services to obtain this document.
Documents to submit with your passport application:
- Your previous passport (even if expired) if applicable
- Two pieces of valid personal identification
- Two photos which respect Passport Canada specifications. Photos taken in photo booths (photomaton) are not accepted. At least one photo must have been signed and dated by the Guarantor.
- Passport fees
Modification of family name:
If you wish to change the name which will appear on your new passport (due to a marriage, divorce, etc.), please consult the following page to verify the supporting documents required with the application.
Where to send the application?
Embassy of Canada
35, avenue Montaigne
75008 Paris France
- By mail: It is highly advised to send your application by registered letter.
- Drop-off in the Consular mailbox located inside the main entrance of the Embassy (Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm), excluding public holidays.
- In person at Consular Services from Monday to Friday between 9am to 12pm, excluding public holidays, for payments by cash or in cases requiring the intervention of a consular agent.
Passport and citizenship applications presented in person will not be examined at the reception counter of Consular Services. The receptionist will transmit the applications to the file analysts. Applications submitted in person follow the same procedure as those received by the post.
The processing time for an adult passport application is 20 business days. This 20-day period only starts once we have a complete and accurate application and does not include postal delivery time.
Processing times may change depending on the volume of applications received and are not guaranteed. Complexity of routine verifications and security checks leads to longer processing times.
* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page.