Forms and guidelines for first applications and replacements/updates
How to apply for a citizenship certificate?
Please use form CIT 0001 (Application for a citizenship certificate - adults and minors)
- for children born outside Canada to at least one Canadian parent
- to replace your current certificate because of damage, loss, theft or change of name
On April 17, 2009, the rules changed for people born outside Canada. Citizenship by birth outside Canada to a Canadian parent (citizenship by descent) is now limited to the first generation born outside Canada.
This means that, in general, children born outside Canada to a parent who was a Canadian citizen at the time of birth will only be Canadian at birth if:
- the parent was born in Canada, or
- the parent became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada (becoming a permanent resident) and being granted citizenship (also known as naturalization).
Download the application
Where to send your application?
The complete application can be submitted by mail or in person:
Embassy of Canada
Consular Services Section
Leipziger Platz 17
After verification that your application is complete, we will return the original documents to you (within approx. 2 weeks if submitted by mail) and forward your application to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, for further processing.
How long does it take?
Processing times vary, please check the CIC website for current processing times.
We recommend you advise us of any address change that might occur during this time.
Items 1 and 2 apply to first time applicants only.
Certified copies can be obtained from a notary public or authorised German official (e.g. at a townhall).
- Applicant's birth certificate (certified copy or original)- if born in Germany, the international version, which can be obtained from the German Standesamt (registrar's office) that registered the birth
- Proof of one parent's Canadian citizenship (certified copy or original): Canadian birth certificate or Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
- Two pieces of ID (certified copies or originals) showing the exact name requested (required for every applicant)
One ID has to show applicant's photo; for young children these can be health insurance cards, school ID, immunization cards, German tax ID letters or a passport issued by another country.
The birth certificate is not accepted as ID.
- Two identical photographs as specified on the application form. Please make sure to put the photographer's details and name of applicant on the back of one photo.
- Proof of payment (payment via embassy's account or online payment)
- Additional documents might be required; our office will notify you in this case.