Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling in Germany

Canadian Pension - Old Age Security and Canada Pension Plan

Canadian social security plans (pensions) and benefits are administered by Service Canada. Forms and information are available on their website. You can also learn about the Canada/Germany Social Security Agreement on the internet. 

All applications for pension payments or inquirie should be adressed directly to:

International Operations
Service Canada
Ottawa, ON K1A 0L1
Tel: 001 613 957 1954
Fax: 001 613 952-8901

Please always quote your social insurance number when communicating with Service Canada.

Receiving payments

Recipients of a Canadian pension who are residing in Europe can enroll for the direct deposit program. This means you can receive your pension payments by bank transfer directly into your German bank account. Please visit Foreign Direct Deposit for full details and instructions on enrollment.

Taxation of Social Security Benefits

Normally 15% of your monthly benefit payment and 25% of survivor's benefits will be automatically withheld as Non-Resident Tax if you are residing in Germany. If you are receiving Canadian social security benefits outside Canada you will usually be expected to file an income tax return.

If you think you might be eligible for a tax reduction, or if you require tax information and tax forms, please contact the International Tax Office of the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency.


Date Modified: