Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home

Marriage and Divorce

Do you plan to get married in Nepal?

The Civil Authority in Nepal requires proof of legal capacity for a Canadian citizen to enter into a marriage in the form of a certification by competent authority that no impediment exists to the marriage.  It will, therefore, be necessary for the Canadian citizen to obtain an official statement from the Canadian government office in Nepal stating that the person is free to marry.  Since Consuls are not competent to grant certificates that no impediment exists to the capacity of a Canadian or permanent resident of Canada to marry, a certificate called as “Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-impediment” is issued to the clients. Please contact the Office of the Canadian government should you need this certificate. The fee is CAD $ 30.00 on presentation of a Canadian passport and a copy of the divorce degree from the previous marriage, if any.  Marriages which are legally performed and valid in Nepal are also legally valid in Canada.  Canadian citizens will need to submit their application, along with this statement, to get their marriage registered and to request for issuance of a Marriage Certificate at the Office of the Chief District Officer (CDO).  The CDO will also require witnesses who will execute affidavits to the effect that the parties are free to marry.  It takes a minimum of 15 work days for the CDO to process the application and issue a Marriage Certificate.

Chief District Officer (CDO)
Office of the CDO
District Administration Office
Kathmandu, Nepal
Ph.:  977-1-4262448, 4248985

Marriages are never celebrated at the High Commission of Canada.

Certificate of Marriage Celebrated in Canada

Canadian marriage certificates can be obtained from the vital statistics service of the province in which the event occurred. Requests must be sent to the provincial authorities. The fee for issuing marriage certificates will vary from province to province. Please note that there is no central registry of marriages in Canada.

List of Provincial vital statistics offices in Canada 

Divorce Proceedings

Obtaining a divorce in Nepal is a private legal matter. We suggest you consult with a lawyer in Nepal for specific guidance.


Date Modified: