Call for proposals: Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) 2013-2014 India
The High Commission of Canada to India is pleased to launch its annual call for proposals for the Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI). The CFLI is a responsive, flexible program, directly managed by the High Commission of Canada in New Delhi, to fund small but visible, high impact, results-oriented projects. Through contribution agreements, the CFLI provides monetary assistance that covers all or a portion of the cost of projects that are comparatively modest in scope, scale and cost and that are usually conceived and designed by local authorities or organizations.
All projects must be consistent with and apply to one or more of Canada’s five priorities for international assistance:
- stimulating sustainable economic growth
- increasing food security
- creating opportunities for children and youth
- advancing democracy
- ensuring security and stability
Projects supported by the CFLI should promote gender equality and respect for the environment.
Priority will be given to projects which address food and energy security, education and in particular to projects which promote research, development and innovation through projects that demonstrate creative approaches and innovative ideas. Projects with considerations of social inclusion and governance will also be prioritised.
The average contribution is 15,000- 35,000 Canadian Dollars. Consult the currency converter.
Who Is Eligible to Submit a Proposal?
- local non-governmental, community and not-for-profit organizations,
- local academic institutions working on local projects,
- international, intergovernmental, multilateral and regional institutions, organizations and agencies working on local development activities,
- municipal, regional or national government institutions or agencies of the recipient country working on local projects, and
- Canadian non-governmental and not-for-profit organizations that are working on local development activities.
The majority of CFLI funding is to be directed toward local civil society organizations (including non-governmental organizations) and other institutions working at the local level. Other entities, such as international, intergovernmental, multilateral and regional organizations can be eligible for a contribution, provided that they are working with local partners and on local projects that are consistent with the objectives of the CFLI. Similarly, municipal, regional or national government institutions may receive CFLI funding, provided that their projects are essentially local in nature.
Eligible activities must be directly related to the project delivery. The following are examples of eligible types of activities:
- conducting advocacy
- providing training or education
- providing technical expertise
- conducting research and/or reporting
- providing or repairing infrastructure
- providing equipment
- delivering supplies
- in exceptional cases, providing support for humanitarian assistance efforts
CFLI funds can be disbursed to cover costs that are integral to a project covered by a contribution agreement. The CFLI cannot be used to pay for operating costs or ongoing expenses of an organization (i.e. salaries, utilities, rent, etc.). The following list of costs indicates the range of costs that are eligible under the Program:
- administrative and overhead costs related to the project,
- capital and/or operating expenditures related to the lease and/or purchase and/or building of infrastructure,
- installation, maintenance, shipping and/or transportation costs, including fuel, computers and communication devices,
- civic education costs,
- conference and event expenditures,
- hospitality costs, excluding alcoholic beverages,
- training and capacity building expenditures,
- costs of services received by recipients,
- outreach, communication and information dissemination costs,
- environmental assessment costs,
- advocacy and lobbying related costs,
- legal costs,
- accounting costs,
- medical costs,
- publishing costs,
- radio and television broadcast fees,
- facilities and equipment rental charges,
- research-related costs,
- salary costs relating to the project (not to the organization),
- security costs,
- translation and interpretation fees,
- travel expenses, using lowest fares possible but not exceeding full fare economy class
- lease or rental of vehicles,
- vehicle and equipment operation, installation and/or maintenance,
- website development and related costs,
- Miscellaneous expenses integral to the project.
The following costs are not eligible for CFLI funding:
- nuclear technologies and facilities,
- assistance to military or paramilitary organizations,
- luxury goods,
- direct fiscal support to a government,
- core funding or recurrent costs of an organization,
- expenses incurred prior to the signing of the contribution agreement.
Term of Projects:
All projects must be completed between the date of signature of the Contribution Agreement and March 31, 2014.
Process to Submit a Proposal:
- Please contact the Canada Fund Coordinator (see the contact information below) to obtain the special CFLI application form. Only those proposals using the indicated application form will be considered.
- Proposals must be completed in English.
- As required in Part II of the application form, each proposal must include a brief description of the project, which summarizes the key points. This description should not exceed half of one page.
- Proposals should be submitted electronically to the following e-mail: CFLIcoordinator@hotmail.ca with a copy to: CFLI-India@international.gc.ca.
- Deadline for submission is April 26, 2013.
- Applications will be assessed for approval on their merits by a Selection Committee. Final selection of projects will be made by the Head of Mission.
To obtain an application form, and for advice and assistance on how to make a submission, please contact:
Ms. Tamara Thibeault
Canada Fund for Local Initiatives Coordinator (CFLI Coordinator)
Telephone : +91 956-009-2844
High Commission of Canada
7/8 Shantipath, Chanakyapuri,
New Delhi, India, 110021