Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Discover Canada
  4. >
  5. Visas and Immigration

How to Submit an Application

As of September 4, 2013, Jamaican citizens between the ages of 14 and 79 must give their biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when submitting an application for a visitor visa, study permit or work permit. This new requirement affects citizens from 29 countries and one territory.

You can give your biometrics at the visa application centres (VACs) in Kingston and Montego Bay.

Before submitting an application, please note:

  • To avoid the inconvenience of standing in line outside the visa office in Kingston, we suggest that you submit your temporary resident application either online or through the VAC (in-person or by mail). If you need to give your biometrics, please DO NOT mail in your application. Instead, you must apply online or in person at the nearest VAC.
  • We recommend that you submit your requests for temporary resident visas (to visit, study or work temporarily) ahead of your prospective date of travel taking into account our average processing times
  • All applicants for temporary residence (to visit, study or work temporarily) or permanent resident travel documents must complete their own application forms. This also applies to minor children and elderly applicants.
  • All applicants must follow the instructions exactly as laid out in the checklist, which can to be found on the respective application forms pages .
  • Family members travelling together may submit their applications in one package, using a big envelope. Family rate for processing fees still applies. 
  • If you are an entertainer, you must use the Temporary Work Permit Checklist for Entertainers before submitting. You can find it at the bottom of page Temporary Work Permit Application Forms.
  • If you have an emergency requirement to travel, please inform the VAC so they flag your application appropriately.  Urgent processing is granted rarely and for compelling reasons only (e.g. death in the immediate family). An officer will review your request and determine if your application warrants urgent processing.

Temporary resident (visitor visa, study or work permit) or Travel document (returning resident) applications may be submitted:

Application TypeOnline Through the VAC
Directly to this visa office
(in person)*
Temporary Resident Visa (Visitor)YesYesYes
Study PermitYesYesYes
Work PermitYesYesYes
Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD)NoYesYes

*Whether you apply online or in person at the visa office, if you need to give your biometrics you will have to go in person to a VAC to have your biometrics taken.

Family class applications:

All applications to sponsor a family class member must be submitted to the Case Processing Centre in Canada. For more information on how to submit your application and the forms of payment, refer to Sponsoring Your Family.

Economic Class:

All applicants in the economic classes must submit their initial application to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Canada. For more information on how to submit your application, please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website.


Monday and Wednesday     
9:00a.m. – 10:00a.m. for submission of complete applications only:

High Commission of Canada,
Immigration Section
3 West Kings House Road
Waterloo Road Entrance
Kingston, Jamaica

Pre-paid return envelope

Please use pre-paid return envelopes of these companies only:

Note: Visitors should also be aware that information offered by non-Government of Canada sites to which the Embassy of Canada in Jamaica links is not subject to the Privacy Act and the Official Languages Act and may be available only in the language(s) used by the sites in question and visitors should research the privacy policies of the sites before providing personal information.


Date Modified: