The Canadian Embassy (and our Consulates) does not provide legal advice or legal counsel. Persons wishing to retain legal counsel in Japan should see the list of English or French speaking lawyers below (most commonly the former). Such a list is a representative sampling only and neither the Embassy nor Consulate are permitted to recommend any specific lawyer to you. Additionally the Canadian government assumes no responsibility for the competence or reliability of persons/firms shown on the list. However, if you have a negative experience with one of these lawyers, please advise us and the reference may be removed.
Lists of English Speaking Lawyers:
- Tohoku (Akita, Fukushima and Miyagi)
- Hokuriku (Fukui, Ishikawa, Nagano, Niigata and Toyama)
- Kanto (Chiba, Gunma, Kanagawa, Saitama, Tokyo and Yamanashi)
- Tokai (Aichi, Gifu, Mie and Shizuoka)
- Kinki (Hyogo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Shiga and Wakayama)
- Chugoku-Shikoku (Hiroshima, Okayama, Shimane, Tottori, Yamaguchi, Ehime, Kagawa, Kochi and Tokushima)
- Kyushu-Okinawa (Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Miyazaki and Okinawa)
List of French Speaking Lawyers
Persons requiring legal advice in Canada should contact the bar association or law society in the applicable province or territory.
The following local website links may help you find a solution to your legal or work-related concerns.
- Tokyo Public Law Office, Foreigners and International Service Section
- Human Rights Councelling Offices for Foreigners (Ministry of Justice)
- Legal Counselling for Foreigners (Japan Federation of Bar Associations)
- Japan Legal Support Center (Houterasu)
- List of Bar Associations (Japan Federation of Bar Associations' website)
- Tokyo Metropolitan Government Foreign Resident's Advisory Center
- Employment problems(Labor Administration Offices of Tokyo Metropolitan Government)
- English language services are available at the following Labour Administration Offices (Rousei Jimusho) from 14:00–16:00.
Iidabashi Tel: 03-3265-6110 Mon.–Fri.
Osaki Tel: 03-3495-6110 Wed.
Kokubunji Tel: 042-321-6110 Wed.
- Labour Bureaus with a Foreign workers Consultation Corner(Ministry of Health Labour, and Welfare, Prefectural Labour Bureaus, Labour Standards Inspection Offices)
- (Please see the last page for the list of prefectural offices.)
- Information on Advisory Services for Foreign Workers(Tokyo Labour Bureau, Labour Standards Department, Inspection Division)
- Advisory services on working conditions both in English and Chinese are provided to the foreign workers in Japan as follows:
Office: Tokyo Labour Bureau, Labour Standards Department, Inspection Division
Days: Monday, Wednesday and Friday for English, Tuesday and Thursday for Chinese
Hours: 10:00a.m. – 3:00p.m. (except noon – 1:00p.m.)
Matters: General working conditions related to wages, dismissal, retirement, work hours, days off and others
* Please note that the day(s) may be changed. Confirm the above office and make an appointment before visiting.