Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians

RCMP Criminal Record Check required for Teaching English in Korea

Anyone who wishes to work as an ESL teacher in Korea must provide a criminal record check issued by RCMP in Canada and it should be notarised by the Canadian Embassy/Consulate before submission to the Korean Immigration office.

Please refer to the information below on how to obtain a certified criminal record check (CRC). If you require more information on visa matters, you may refer to the Korean immigration website or telephone their Call Center at 1345. If you are dialing from within Korea, there is no need to dial the area code.

RCMP certificate

Important Notice

Effective July 1, 2014, the Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services will ONLY accept electronic fingerprint submissions for civil purposes. This new process aims at improving service levels and accuracy of your screening.

Electronic fingerprint submissions to the RCMP is not currently available outside of Canada. You may contact accredited companies within Canada who will digitize ink fingerprints and submit them electronically to the RCMP.

*Please note that after July 1, 2014, paper submissions will not be processed and will be returned to the originator

More detailed information is available at rcmp-grc. RCMP fingerprint form C-216C is available at the embassy in Seoul or at the Consulate in Busan.


Once a certified criminal record check is received, the Embassy/Consulate notarisation is required:

  • Bring the certified criminal record check with your passport.
  • Complete a statutory declaration form prepared at the Embassy.
  • There is a fee of CAD50.00 for the service.

For more information, you may contact the Embassy/Consulate:

Embassy (Seoul) 82-2-3783-6000, Consulate (Busan) 82-51-204-5581
You may also consult the Embassy web site.

Note: fees are subject to change without notice.


Date Modified: