Visas and Immigration
How to Apply
- We strongly encourage you to apply online wherever possible.
- If you cannot submit your application online, please see our mailing instructions.
- We do not accept Work Permit applications. All new Work Permit applications must be submitted online or at the visa section of the Consulate General of Canada in New York.
- Passports and original documents will no longer be returned in-person. All passports and documents will be returned by mail. Refer to the Mailing Instructions.
- The visa office is open to the public Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays from 9:00 am to 10:00 am.
Temporary Resident Visa and Study Permit applications are processed in the following order of priority:
1) Applications submitted online;
2) Applications submitted by mail or dropbox;
3) Non-urgent applications submitted at the reception window.
Visas and Immigration in Los Angeles
- The visa office in Los Angeles reviews applications made by persons lawfully admitted to the United States (including Puerto Rico) for:
A Temporary Resident Visa;
A Study Permit;
A Permanent Resident Travel Document;
A Temporary Resident Permit;
Criminal Rehabilitation; and
Authority to Return to Canada.
- We also review applications for a Study Permit from people who hold valid visitor status in Canada.
- Citizens and permanent residents of the USA do not need a Temporary Resident Visa to visit Canada and may also apply at a Port-of-Entry for:
- All other people should refer to the page: How to submit an application.
For information about going to Canada and to find out how to make an application at this office, please refer to our list of services below.