Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada

Application for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate from Outside Canada

Application form for a citizenship certificate

Applying for a Citizenship Certificate - Child born from Surrogacy Arrangements

Retention of citizenship


Processing time

Further information

Application form for a citizenship certificate - CIT 0001

The citizenship application form for a citizenship certificate and specifications for citizenship photos (different from Mexican I.D. cards) can be downloaded from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

If you do not have access to the internet or if you need to send any correspondence regarding a citizenship application, please contact the citizenship section of the Canadian Embassy.

Embassy of Canada
Consular Section
Calle Schiller No. 529
Colonia Polanco
Del. Miguel Hidalgo
11580 Mexico D.F.
Tel: +52 (55) 5724-7900
Fax: +52 (55) 5724-7943

On April 17, 2009, the law changed and many former Canadian citizens reacquired citizenship and others acquired citizenship for the first time. Find out more about the new law and who is affected. [ Citizenship rules ]

Application for a citizenship certificate for a child

Children born outside Canada to a Canadian parent must submit an application to obtain a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship to prove they are Canadian citizens.

The following documents must be submitted in addition to an Application for a Citizenship Certificate from Outside Canada:

  • a notarized copy of a document proving that one or both of the parents was a Canadian citizen when the child was born (citizenship certificate or Canadian birth certificate);
  • each parent should submit a notarized copy of one piece of valid personal identification (i.e. a passport, driver's license...);
  • original birth certificate of the child which lists the parents (issued by government authorities in the country where the child was born), with an official and certified translation into English or French; and
  • two identifications of the child (one of the identifications must contain a photo)
    For children under 7 years old, a letter from the pediatrician containing a photo is acceptable.

Forms and instructions to obtain Canadian birth certificates are available at the Canadian Embassy.

Retention of Canadian citizenship

Certain persons born outside Canada between February 15, 1977 and April 16, 1981 to a Canadian parent also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent lost their Canadian citizenship at the age of 28, if they failed to take the steps to retain their citizenship before their 28th birthday. For more information on retention of citizenship, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website. In order to determine if you lost citizenship, you must apply for a citizenship certificate.


Current fees and forms of payment.

Processing time

Applications for a citizenship certificate submitted at the Embassy are forwarded to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada's processing centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Please consult the Citizenship and Immigration website to know the processing time for Canadian Citizenship Certificate applications.

Further Information

Read more: Canadian Citizenship Office


Date Modified: