Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada

FAQ for Mexico

What to do about a consumer problem?

Tourists who face problems related to unfavourable commercial practices by Mexican providers (one of the most common problems involves the time-share business) should file a complaint with any PROFECO office (in Spanish only), (Procuraduría Federal de Protección al Consumidor) a Federal Consumer Protection Office. The main office is located in Mexico City at:

José Vasconcelos No. 208, 6th floor
Col. Condesa
Delegación Cuauhtémoc
06140, México D.F.
Tel.: (55) 5211-1723 or 5625-6700 ext 1537
Hours to the Public: Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

About Profeco

Information on Time Shares

You may also contact one of the Canadian Consulates to obtain the address of the PROFECO (in Spanish only) office in its jurisdiction or visit their website.

To file a complaint with the PROFECO, you must provide:

  • the complete name and address of the consumer, with home and work telephone numbers, a fax number and the best time to call;
  • complete name and address of the company or person against whom you are filing a complaint (if not possible, provide all the information available to facilitate locating that person or company);
  • a brief detailed description of the events mentioning what happened and stating exactly what compensation is sought; and
  • Evidence of payments made (copies of cheques, credit card slips, receipts, etc.) and any other available document to support the claim.

Procedure to file a formal complaint

Profeco Complaint Form (ensure you provide a very brief and detailed description)

Where can I obtain tourist information?

Contact the nearest SECTUR (in Spanish only) office (Ministry of Tourism) in the city in which you are staying. The Sectur headquarters are located in Mexico City at:

Centro Integral de Atención al Turista
Presidente Mazaryk 172 Planta Baja (corner Hegel)
Col. Chapultepec Morales
Open from Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Tel: switchboard (55) 3002-6300
INFOTUR help line (offers 24-hour emergency assistance and can be dialled anywhere in Mexico): 01-800-987-8224 and 078

Tourist information, as well as assistance from the Angeles Verdes (highway assistance patrol offered by the Ministry of Tourism) can be obtained by dialling 078 anywhere in Mexico.

Information on Tax Refund for Visitors to Mexico

Foreigners visiting Mexico on a tourist visa can obtain the refund of the Added Valued Tax retained in the acquisition of merchandise in Mexico. More information can be obtained from the SAT office (Servicio de Administración Tributaria)


Date Modified: