Documents to be enclosed
Simplified Renewal Application Process
Photo studios located in Polanco
The Embassy of Canada in Mexico does not recommend the use of third-party companies to apply for Canadian passports. All Canadian citizens are encouraged to apply in person at official points of service around Mexico or mail their application directly to the Embassy of Canada.
Protect yourself from fraud! Certain organizations claim to offer "support" to Canadian citizens who want to apply for a passport, such as by selling information kits that outline application procedures. Some also falsely claim to be able to speed up the passport application process for an additional fee. More information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/security/fraud.asp
Canadian citizens, who have lost/been robbed of their proof of Canadian citizenship, must apply for a replacement and, at the same time, may apply for a Canadian passport if the trip is justified.
For additional information, you may contact the closest Canadian point of service in your area or the Embassy of Canada in Mexico City.
Please note that whenever an incomplete application is received, it will be returned to the applicant at his/her expense, using his/her airway bill invoice or by registered mail if none was included.
Only the Embassy of Canada in Mexico City issues regular passports; however, you may obtain application forms and pay for a new passport at any of our Canadian points of service throughout Mexico.
Applications for regular passports must be sent directly to the Embassy at your own expense.
Passport application forms may be requested by telephone, fax or regular mail.
Please specify the following when requesting application forms:
- the number of applications required (note whether for an adult or a child under 16);
- if you wish to receive an application form in English or in French;
- your full name, complete address, and telephone/fax number with the area code.
You may also print application forms from the Passport Canada website. Please note that the application form used abroad differs from the one used in Canada. Please read the information concerning accepted methods of payment under Fees below.
Adult passport application (for Canadian citizens 16 years and over):
Passport Application PPTC 040 * (PDF 403 KB)
Proof of Canadian Citizenship PPTC 001 * (PDF 176 KB)
Child passport application (for Canadians under 16 years of age):
Child Passport Application PPTC 042 * (PDF 377 KB)
The passport office at the Embassy cannot provide information regarding the receipt of passport documents. Please verify with your courier company if your package has arrived (ESTAFETA, DHL etc.)
Documents to be enclosed
To obtain a new passport, please send the following documents:
- Passport application form(s) duly completed (forms must be signed, dated and completed before they are submitted to the guarantor).
- Documentary proof of Canadian citizenship (originals only).
This can either be your birth certificate (if you were born in Canada) or your certificate of Canadian citizenship. If you were born in Québec, only a Birth Certificate issued by the “Directeur de l’état civil du Québec” after the 1st of January 1994 is valid.
- Your previous passport, regardless of the issue date.
- One piece of valid identification with photo and signature (Mexican documents such as passports, driver’s licence, IFE and residence permits with photo and signature issued by "Instituto Nacional de Migración" are accepted).
If you submit your application by mail, a copy of your identification must be signed by your guarantor if you do not want to send the original. If you submit your application in person, bring the original of your identification.
Please note that a previous Canadian Passport may be accepted as supporting identification provided it is valid or has been expired for a period of less than one year from the date of submission of the new application and the name in the passport submitted supports the name to appear in the new passport.
- Your marriage certificate if you want your passport issued in your married name and one valid photo I.D. showing the married name requested.
- If you submit a passport application for a minor, one photo ID with signature is requested from both parents (original and/or copy according to conditions described above). An acceptable proof of parentage (some exceptions apply) is required.
- Two pictures - one of which should be stamped and dated by the photographer. One of the pictures must be certified and signed by your guarantor, as shown on the application form instruction sheets. See the standards for acceptable photos required by Passport Canada.
- If you are a naturalized Mexican, please send a photocopy of your naturalization paper.
- Whether you are working, studying, or visiting, be sure to clearly indicate where we can reach you in Mexico (complete address and telephone number with area code).
- If you request a passport without presenting documentary evidence of citizenship (i.e. a Canadian Birth Certificate or Citizenship Card), proof of travel or a written statement explaining the emergency is required. The form entitled PPTC 116 * (PDF 91 KB) must be completed and included in your application. The passport will be issued for two years and its validity will not be extended.
- If you apply for the first time for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate and a passport for a newborn or a child under 2 years old, the applicant must provide proof of travel or a written statement explaining the emergency and complete the PPTC 116 * (PDF 91 KB) form. Original proof of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian Citizenship certificate) from the Canadian parent is required. The passport will be issued for two years and its validity will not be extended.
Important: if you are applying for a new passport in order to replace a valid passport that has been either lost or stolen you will be required to obtain a police report and include this with the passport application.
When sending your application by courier, you may include a prepaid waybill at your expense, so that your passport can be returned to you (for example ESTAFETA or DHL). When purchasing the prepaid waybill, please ensure it is addressed to Embassy of Canada, Consular Section, Schiller 529, Col. Polanco, 11580 México D.F.
Simplified Renewal Application Process
Shorter and simpler form - No guarantor needed - Citizenship and identity documents not required.
To be eligible, you must meet ALL of the following conditions:
- you were at least 16 years of age at the time of your previous application
- your name on the renewal application is exactly as it appears on page 2 of the submitted passport; and
- you are submitting a previous regular Canadian passport that:
- was/is valid for five (5) years;
- is not damaged; and
- was never reported lost or stolen;
- is still valid or expired no more than one year.
Documents to be enclosed with your application
- a completed and signed Adult Simplified Renewal Abroad Passport Application Form for Canadians applying outside of Canada PPTC 482* (PDF 372 KB)
- your most recent passport
- two (2) recent identical photos
- the required fee (fees and processing times are the same as for a regular passport application)
Photo studios located in Polanco
The Embassy of Canada cannot assume any responsibility for the professional qualifications, integrity, or services of the persons and institutions listed below.
Julio Verne 84-B
Tel: (55) 5280-9336
Horacio 528, local C (in front of Metro Polanco)
Tel: (55) 5545-3440
Please ensure you take the document entitled "Rules for Canadian passport photos" with you.
Current fees and forms of payment
In special situations, other fees may apply.
We accept Visa or MasterCard credit card payments. Note that the "Credit Card Information (where accepted)" section of the Passport Application Forms is not applicable for credit card payments outside of Canada. Please complete and sign the Credit Card Authorization and attach it to your passport application. This form is mandatory in order to process your credit card payment. Credit card payments can also be made in person.
Please note that passport fees are not refundable if the application is cancelled.
The current processing time for passports is of 20 working days, once all required documents have been received.
If you are applying for citizenship and passport, please note that processing times are 20 working days for citizenship + 20 working days for passports.
Specific passport forms and/or different requirements may apply in certain cases, such as:
- Replacement of lost, stolen or inaccessible passports issued within the last five years. Please note that a police report and a declaration PPTC 203* (PDF 149 KB) will be required. There is a separate CDN $45.00 administrative fee for the replacement of a valid lost or stolen travel document.
- A Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor (PPTC 132) is required when you do not have an eligible guarantor. Statutory declarations are to be signed before a Consular Officer (CDN $50.00 fee is applicable) or before a Notary Public (fee determined by the Notary Public).
Read more on passports: Passport Canada
* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page.
If you have problems accessing these forms, or to request printed forms, please contact the Embassy of Canada in Mexico.