All documents listed below must be submitted in support of the citizenship application. They should be sent either in their original form or as certified/notarized copies (e.g. certified by a notary public). If you choose to submit notarized copies, please ensure the notary has signed, dated and stamped both sides of each document. The notary’s commission needs to be valid and evident on all copies. If the documents were not issued in either English or French, they must be accompanied by an English or French language translation. That translation must in turn be accompanied by a notarized affidavit signed by the translator. Translations from family members are not acceptable.
• birth certificate of the applicant. The birth certificate must show the names of both applicant’s parents. This requirement applies whether the applicant is a child or an adult.
• proof that one or both of the applicant’s parents was a Canadian citizen when the applicant was born (if applicant was born outside of Canada). This will come in the form of the parents’ birth certificate or Canadian Citizenship Certificate.
• two pieces of valid official/government identification issued to the applicant. This requirement applies even when the applicant is a child. Examples of federal/state/provincial/municipal identification documents which can be submitted include: driver license, US permanent resident card, Social Security card, state identification card, US passport, other foreign passport, other foreign national ID card, SIN card, child’s amber alert identification, health insurance card - this needs to be government issued for adults but (when used as the second ID) can be a private health insurance card for a child applicant.
• marriage certificate of applicant’s parents (where applicable). This requirement applies whether or not the applicant is a child or an adult.
• two pieces of valid official/government identification issued to the Canadian parent who has signed the application form (this is only required when the applicant is a child). These items of identification should show the parents’ name, signature, and photo.
• for residents of the USA - proof of status in the USA (e.g. permanent resident card, Certificate of Naturalization/Citizenship, US Consular Report of Birth Abroad, US visa) of the person who has signed the application form.
for residents of Bermuda - document issued by the Ministry of Labour and Home Affairs or the Department of Labour and Immigration which confirms the residency/status of the person who has signed the application form or which confirms the eligibility for Bermudan status of a child applicant
In addition to the above list of documents, all applications must be accompanied by:
• two photographs of the applicant which conform to the specifications shown on the application form. If the applicant is under the age of 14 a signature strip is not required or if included on the photograph, the signature strip is to be left blank.
• the fee of $75.00 Canadian or $75.00 US.
Payment can be made online.
By paying online you will also be able to track your application. Alternatively, payment can be made by certified cheque, money order or bank draft made out to the Canadian Consulate General.
Please be advised that each application is unique. Additional documents may be requested in order to complete the processing of the application.