Driving Requirements for Canada

Note: The information provided on this page is only intended as a guide. For specific information about driving in Canada please contact the relevant transport agency in the Canadian province or territory you intend to drive in. Neither the High Commission of Canada in Wellington, nor the Consulate of Canada and Trade Office in Auckland, can answer specific questions concerning driving or purchasing a vehicle in Canada.

While New Zealanders may drive in Canada on a New Zealand drivers licence for up to 3 months, it is recommended that all visitors to Canada who intend to drive obtain an International Drivers Permit. If you intend to rent or buy a car you must obtain an International Drivers Permit.

IMPORTANT: Ensure that your travel insurance covers you for driving in Canada. If you intend to purchase a car, insurance for the vehicle is compulsory.

Information about how to obtain an International Drivers Permit is available from the New Zealand Automobile Association (AA).

For information on driver licensing requirements in Canadian provinces and territories please visit our driver licensing information page.