Canada Fund for Local Initiatives
We are no longer accepting applications for 2015-2016. Please monitor this website for further updates.
The Canada Fund for Local Initiatives (CFLI) provides support to small scale, short-term projects in the Pacific by working with local, national and international NGOs and other organizations. The CFLI focuses on funding projects with long-term, sustainable goals that support and strengthen communities at the local level. Recipient organizations are expected to make a contribution in cash or in kind. The program is widely recognized as making a significant contribution to genuine development and capacity-building in the region.
The program is managed directly by the High Commission of Canada in Wellington, New Zealand for projects in the following Pacific Island countries:
Within Canada's thematic priorities for international assistance, the High Commission of Canada in Wellington will focus on supporting projects in the following key areas in 2014-2015:
- Protecting human rights and fundamental freedoms, including religious freedom and LGBT rights;
- Preventing sexual violence and early forced marriage;
- Supporting democratic transition and expanded democratic participation, particularly by women and minority groups;
- Entrenching the rule of law and combatting the destabilizing impact of crime and corruption, including through security sector capacity building;
- Strengthening economic governance, including building free markets and an effective enabling environment for business; and
- Delivering urgent, targeted responses to disasters or emerging crises, with a focus on small-scale humanitarian support.
The CFLI only provides contributions to projects, not over-head costs such as those related to the administration of an organization, ongoing or recurring projects, large-scale construction, or purely general budgetary needs.
The majority of projects we support fall in the Canadian $5,000 to C$30,000 range (with a maximum support of C$50,000). We encourage project proposals focused on the above mentioned areas and will also consider project proposals with broader regional reach.
You can obtain the guidelines and applications for the CFLI by contacting the CFLI Coordinator:
High Commission of Canada
PO Box 8047
Wellington, New Zealand
Telephone: (64 4) 473-9577
Facsimile: (64 4) 471-2082
Note: The High Commission of Canada in Canberra administers the CFLI in the following countries: Papua New Guinea, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Nauru, Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, and Republic of the Marshall Islands.
For further information or to submit a proposal, please contact:
High Commission of Canada
Canberra, ACT, 2600
Telephone: (61 2) 6270-4077
- Date Modified: