Temporary Resident (Visitor) Visa Application Forms
Please carefully read the Visiting Canada section of our website and the instruction guide provided below before you complete the application forms. The fee for processing your application is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible to get a Temporary Resident Visa before you apply. Please note that submitting a completed application and necessary supporting documents does not guarantee that you will receive a visa.
Download the Temporary Resident Visa application forms:
Important supplementary information:
- Consult our website for forms and instructions, including a list of countries whose nationals require a visa.
- Any document not in English or French must be accompanied by a certified translation.
- Failure to submit all required documentation may result in the refusal of your application or delay processing.
- False statements or submission of fraudulent documents will result in immediate refusal.
- All documents submitted in support of your application must be original (photocopies are not acceptable).
- After submission of all required documents you may be required to attend an interview or medical exam.
- Any preparations you make or expenses you incur are done entirely at your own risk.
- Do not finalise travel plans unless you have received your visa from the Deputy High Commission of Canada to Nigeria in Lagos.
Please ensure that:
- Application Form IMM 5257 (PDF * 270 KB) and Family Information Form IMM 5645 (PDF * 67.1 KB), are both fully completed dated and signed. You must answer every question. If not applicable, write N/A.
- Make sure you include your mailing address, reliable phone contact and if you agree to e-mail communications, your email address.
- Processing fee Ensure that you have paid the correct non- refundable fee in Naira (bank draft only) and payable in Lagos to the “Canadian Deputy High Commission”. Name of the principal applicant must be printed on the back of the draft.
- Original passport for yourself and each family member requesting a visa.
- Each passport should be accompanied with a copy of the passport bio-data page (i.e. the page with the name, photo, place of birth, date of issue, etc.)
- Explanation of the purpose of your trip - details of your itinerary indicating length of stay, destination and contacts. You must provide a provisional airline booking.
- Invitation from the person or business you will visit stating visit dates, duration, purpose and contact information. Information related to the immigration status of the host in Canada is voluntary. Should the host volunteer this information, they may provide a copy of their landing document, Citizenship Certificate or Canadian passport bio-data page (i.e. the page with their name, photo, place of birth, date of issue, etc.), Study permit or Work permit, or Permanent Resident Card.
- Proof of funds –
- If you are self funded, you must submit evidence of sufficient funds to cover your travel and expenses while in Canada. Evidence includes: a certified bank statement with six months history including one month prior to or the same month as your application submission, or investments, in your name, or business name.
- If you are invited, your host in Canada may voluntarily provide financial documents such as recent bank statements for saving accounts, short term and/or long term deposits that show their name, account balance and the date the account was opened.
- Bank statements must be opened and detached.
- Un-detached (interim) bank statements will not be considered in the course of processing the application.
- Real Property – proof of personal property, land titles, car registration, lease agreement, etc.
- For Seminars, Trade Shows, Conferences – invitations, registration and hotel confirmation.
- Self-addressed pre-paid return courier envelope to return your documents whether or not you are submitting your application by courier service or the Canadian Deputy High Commission’s drop box.
If applicable, please also submit:
- For Business Travel: a letter from your employer indicating the purpose of your travel, your itinerary within Canada and who will cover the cost of your travel, a letter from the Canadian business confirming duration (visit dates) and nature of your business.
- Proof of Business if you are self employed. Provide business registration, tax clearance certificates, trade certificates, license and financial documents etc. (certified business bank account statement for past 6 months)
- Proof of employment - letter from your current employer and payslips (last 3 months). Employment letter dated within 2 months of the application indicating occupation, job description, position, salary, allowances, years of employment and authorized leave dates.
- Proof of current studies - a current letter and transcript from the educational institution you are attending.
- Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificates foryourself and each family member whether or not they are requesting a visa.
- If a minor child is travelling with only one parent or without their parents, custody documents or notarised permission from the other parent or both parents, as applicable.
- Children must each have their own passport. They must also have a school leave letter, if applicable.
Diplomatic / Official Passport Holders:
Original Note Verbale from your Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Embassy stating the purpose of your travel to Canada, and an invitation from your host in Canada, Application Form IMM 5257 (PDF * 270 KB), Family Information Form IMM 5645 (PDF * 67.1 KB) two passport photographs (PDF * 493 KB) and your original passport.
We will only accept applications that include an e-passport. The Government of Nigeria has informed us that effective Dec 31, 2010 the older style of Nigerian Passport is no longer valid, regardless of the validity date on the passport. As we will only insert a visa in a passport with at least 6 months validity, we have stopped accepting the older style passport and require applicants to submit the new e-passport.
* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page .