Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada

Pensions & Canada Pension Plan Benefits

There are two basic pension programs in Canada; the Canada Pension Plan and the Old Age Security program.

The Canada Pension Plan started in January 1966. There are three main benefits under the Plan; retirement pensions, disability benefits, and survivor's benefits. Benefit eligibility is based on contributions made to the Plan.

You are required to make contributions based on your earnings from employment or self-employment. No voluntary contributions can be made to the Plan. Contributions made to the Plan cannot be transferred or reimbursed. A record of your earnings and contributions are kept under your Social Insurance Number until such time as a pension becomes payable.

The Old Age Security - is a monthly pension payable the month following your 65th birthday. In order to qualify, you must apply in writing and meet the eligibility requirements.

In order to receive a pension in Canada, you must have 10 years of Canadian residence after age 18. You must also be a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day prior to the approval of your application.

In order to receive a pension outside of Canada, you must have 20 years of Canadian residence after age 18. You must also have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada the day before the day you ceased to reside in Canada.

The Canadian pension schemes are not represented at the Canadian Embassy. If you have further queries regarding eligibility please contact:

International Operations, Income Security Programs,
Social Development Canada,
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0L4
Tel: 001 613 957 1954
Fax: 001 613 952 8901

To obtain application forms for Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, Survivor Pension or Death Benefit, please write to the following address:

Canadian Embassy
Consular Section,
ul. Matejki 1/5
00-481 Warsaw
or all forms can be downloaded from Services Canada web site.

If you have a problem receiving a pension cheque please call (613) 990-2244.

Please Note: Completed applications should be forwarded direct to the regional office in the province where you last resided (do not forget to include your Canadian social insurance number in all your correspondence).

Quebec pension plan (RRQ)

In order to collect benefits under the Quebec Pension Plan (RRQ) (applicable beginning in 1966), you must have worked a minimum of one year in Quebec, be between 60 and 65 years old and have stopped working. The amount of benefit is calculated to reflect the length and amount of employer/employee contributions.

For more information, you can visit the Quebec Pension Plan (RRQ).

For information go to, Regional Income Security Programs Offices.

Retirement in Poland

If you wish to get familiar with Polish social security system concerning entitlement to Polish pension plan for person residing outside Poland , please go to Nie znaleziono strony o podanym adresie. (available in Polish only)


Date Modified: