Visas and Immigration

As of December 1st 2017, citizens of Romania and Bulgaria no longer need a visa to travel to Canada for short stays (normally for up to six months) for business, to visit family and friends, or for tourism. However, similar to other visa-exempt travellers, they will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through a Canadian airport. An eTA allows officials to screen travellers for potential inadmissibility before they board their flight to Canada.

Romanian and Bulgarian citizens who intend to study in Canada for more than six months or who intend to work in Canada should apply for a study permit or a work permit.

Citizens of other countries who require a visa to visit Canada may click here to find out how to apply for a visa.

As of July 19th 2017, all fee payments for visa and immigration services in Romania and Bulgaria must be paid online by credit card. Please refer to the ‘Pay your fees’ webpage.

  • Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, cannot apply for an eTA and need a valid Canadian passport to fly to Canada.
  • Canadian permanent residents (PR) need to travel with a valid Canadian PR card or PR travel document and valid passport.
  • Important – former residents of Canada: PR status does not expire. If you once lived in Canada, you could still have PR status. See options available to avoid travel delays.

Canada has changed its entry requirements. Find out if they apply to you.


Find out how to go to Canada and how to apply for a visa through the services listed below: