Children and travel

As of June 1, 2015, parents travelling with children under the age of 18 will be asked to produce the child’s unabridged (long form) birth certificate in English, or translated to English. All documents must be originals or copies certified as a true copy of the original by a commissioner of oaths. If only one parent is travelling with the child, he or she must also produce a sworn affidavit (issued no earlier than 3 months prior to travel dates) from the other parent registered on the birth certificate authorizing him or her to enter into or depart from the Republic of South Africa with the child. Other requirements apply to unaccompanied children.

These regulations will be strictly enforced by the South African Department of Home Affairs. Additional information is available on their Web site. Contact the nearest High Commission of South Africa before travelling to verify the latest requirements.

See Children for more information.

Canadian citizens requiring emergency consular assistance can contact the High Commission of Canada in Pretoria at 27 (12) 422-3000 or