Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling Abroad


The Consular Section may, in consultation with Foreign Affairs Canada in Ottawa, provide assistance in cases involving children, such as international child abductions, sexual exploitation, trafficking, international adoptions and custody cases. This could include establishing the whereabouts and well-being of a child, providing a list of local lawyers, and offering other general advice and assistance.

Information is available in our booklet International Child Abductions, A Manual for Parents, available at the Embassy. This booklet includes contact information for a number of provincial, territorial and federal central authorities which work on cases related to the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. Additional information is available from the following authorities:

Emergencies 24/7

For emergency help during business hours, call your nearest embassy or consulate directly.

You can also contact our Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa anytime at:



From outside Canada

  • 613-996-8885 (call collect where available)
  • Toll free numbers available in some countries

From inside Canada

  • 1-800-267-6788
  • 613-944-6788


  • 613-944-1310
  • 1-800-394-3472 (toll-free from the U.S. and Canada only)

You may be asked to leave a message. Please follow the instructions carefully. Under normal circumstances, an operations officer will get back to you within 15 minutes. However, this delay may be longer during large-scale emergencies.

"Our Missing Children" Program
National Missing Children Services
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
P.O. Box 8885
1200 Vanier Parkway
Ottawa, ON K1G-3M8

General Inquiries: Tel:1-877-318-3576 or (613) 993-1525
Investigations: Tel: (613) 993-7860, (613) 993-1525
Border Alerts: Tel: (613) 990-8585 (Canada Border Services Agency)
Fax: (613) 993-5430
Website: Royal Canadian Mounted Police


International Child Abductions, A Manual for Parents (Foreign Affairs Canada)

Child Sex Tourism: It’s a crime (Foreign Affairs Canada)

International Adoption and the Immigration Process (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)


Date Modified: