Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling Abroad

Canadian Citizenship

The Embassy can provide information and application forms for Canadians and persons born outside of Canada to a Canadian parent wishing to apply for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate. Information can be found online at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada(CIC) website.

Application forms are available at the Embassy Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 12:00, and are also available online from CIC at: Citizenship applications. Application requirements may vary, so please see the application form for further details.

Citizenship applications submitted at the Embassy are forwarded to the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship in Canada for processing. If the applicant applies in person, all original documents will be returned immediately after they have been examined by Embassy staff. Processing time is from 7 to 10 months.

Applying for a Canadian Citizenship Certificate for a Child Born Abroad to a Canadian Parent

Children born abroad to a Canadian parent on or after February 15, 1977 must submit the following to complete the application: (please also see the section on Retention below)

  • Fully completed form CIT 0001.
  • Child’s original birth certificate listing the names of the child’s parents (issued by government authorities in the country of birth) and a certified translation if the certificate is not in English or French. The Embassy can provide a list of translation bureaus.
  • 3 photos which conform to the published photograph specifications.
  • Proof that one of the parents was a Canadian citizen at the time of the child’s birth. i.e. Canadian parent’s original birth certificate or citizenship certificate. If the parent was born in Quebec, the Passport Office only accepts documents issued byLe Directeur de L’état Civil (Registrar of Civil Status of the Province of Quebec) from January 1, 1994 onward as proof of identity.
  • Parent’s original marriage certificate and a certified translation if not in English or French.
  • Both parents’ passports.
  • Fee of CAD $75.00. This fee may be paid in Thai baht or U.S. dollars.

** Citizenship and Immigration Canada might request a DNA test to verify the genetic connection to the Canadian parent.  If such request is made, the Embassy will contact you.**

Replacement Citizenship Certificate

If you are replacing an existing citizenship certificate, you must submit the following:

  • Fully completed form CIT 0001.
  • All original citizenship/naturalization certificate(s) and any pink transmission copies.
  • Two pieces of personal identification (such as a drivers’ licence, health insurance card, or birth certificate).
  • 3 photos which conform to the published photograph specifications.
  • Other documents, such as a marriage certificate and/or legal name change certificate, divorce decree, birth certificate (if applicable).
  • Fee of CAD $75.00. This fee may be paid in Thai baht or U.S. dollars.

Retention of Canadian Citizenship

In order to retain Canadian citizenship, some citizens born outside Canada to a parent who was a Canadian at the time of their birth are required to make an application and meet certain requirements before turning 28 years of age. This is called retention of Canadian citizenship.

Retention applies to natural-born children of Canadian citizens, not adopted children, and it applies only to Canadians born outside Canada after February 14, 1977, to a Canadian parent who was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent. Section 8 of the Citizenship Act says that this second generation born outside Canada will lose their Canadian citizenship at age 28 unless they take steps to retain it.

For more information please see: Retaining your Canadian citizenship


Date Modified: