Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling Abroad

Income Security

General Benefits Information

For an excellent resource on all federal and provincial government benefits, please see Canada Benefits.

The Embassy of Canada in Thailand does not handle income security, but may be contacted to aid where possible, such as if there are problems receiving payment while abroad. Human Resources and Skills Development Canada manages the two main Canadian pension programs; the Canada Pension Plan and the Old Age Security program.

Applications for pension benefits should be sent to the regional office in the province where you last resided (see list of regional offices below). A Social Insurance Number (SIN) should be included in all correspondence.

Questions regarding eligibility for Canadians abroad should be directed to:

Human Resources and
Skills Development Canada

International Operations
Income Security Programs
Ottawa, ON K1A 0L4
Queries from Thailand: (613) 990-2244
Tel: (613) 957-1954
Fax: (613) 952-8901
By email

Canada Pension Plan

The Canada Pension Plan is a contributory, earnings-related social insurance program. It ensures a measure of protection to a contributor and his or her family against the loss of income due to retirement, disability, and death. Eligibility for the plan is based on contributions made out of employment earnings. The pension is designed to replace about 25% of the earnings on which you paid into the Plan. Contributions to the plan are recorded under a Canadian’s Social Insurance Number.

The retirement pension is for people who have contributed to the Canada Pension Plan and who are at least 65 years of age, or those between the ages of 60 and 64 who have stopped working.

A retirement pension is not started automatically, but must be applied for. To determine eligibility for benefits or to make an application see the Canadian Pension Plan (CPP) website.

Old Age Security

The Old Age Security (OAS) program is the cornerstone of Canada’s retirement income system. It is payable the month following a Canadian’s 65th birthday.

Once a full or partial Old Age Security pension has been approved, it may be paid indefinitely outside Canada, if the pensioner has lived in Canada for at least 20 years after reaching 18 years of age. Otherwise, payment may be made only for the month of a pensioner’s departure from Canada and for six additional months, after which payment is suspended. The benefit may be reinstated if the pensioner returns to live in Canada and meets all conditions of eligibility. Also, on the day before you ceased to reside in Canada you must have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada.

The Guaranteed Income Supplement and the Allowance may be paid outside Canada for only six months following the month of departure from Canada regardless of the length of time you have lived in Canada. To receive the Old Age Pension, you must apply in writing. To determine eligibility or make an application visit the Old Age Security (OAS) website.

Redeeming Canada Savings Bonds Abroad

Canada Savings Bonds or Canada Premium Bonds may be redeemed in two ways:

  1. If you have an account with a Canadian bank you may contact them to see if arrangements can be made to redeem the bond(s).
  2. You may send your unsigned bond with a covering letter, requesting redemption, to Canada Savings Bonds at one of the addresses indicated below.

A cheque will be sent to you in Canadian funds for the redemption value. In your covering letter please provide your Social Insurance Number (if one is available) and current mailing address.

By Regular Mail:
Canada Savings Bonds
PO Box 2770, Station D
Ottawa, ON K1P 1J7

By Courier:
Canada Savings Bonds
50 O’Connor Street
2nd Floor, Suite 201
Ottawa, ON K1P 6L2

Regional Income Security Offices

You will find contact information for regional income security offices on the website of Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.


Date Modified: