Taxation Information

If you are living abroad but maintain residential ties in Canada, you are considered a factual resident of Canada for taxation purposes. However, there may be other factors involved, so you should review your situation with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) before you leave in order to avoid surprises. The CRA publication T4131, Canadian Residents Abroad, provides excellent information for individuals.

The Canadian Revenue Agency’s International Tax Services Office processes income tax returns for non-residents and deemed residents of Canada, including Canadians working overseas. It also provides general assistance by telephone, correspondence and counter service, and looks after all non-resident tax withholding accounts.

You may also wish to consult a private financial planner, who can provide advice and guidance on such matters as contributing to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan and the Canada Pension Plan while you are abroad.

For more information on Canadian Tax Services contact:

International Tax Services Office
Forms and publications
Canada Revenue Agency
2204 Walkley Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 1A8

For Canadians living in the United Arab Emirates, the Ministry of Finance of the UAE issues Tax Domicile Certificates for those needing proof of no taxation. (Only in Arabic)