Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home

Application for a certificate of Canadian citizenship for a person born outside Canada

Processing of routine applications for Canadian citizenship currently takes up to 12 to 15 months. The initial processing takes place at the Canadian High Commission. Original documentation submitted with an application is returned to the applicant after the initial processing in London (6 to 8 weeks). The application is then forwarded to the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Forward planning is strongly recommended as processing can sometimes take as long as two years.

Please note: it is not possible to obtain a status report from the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship, nor is it possible to trace an application made from abroad on the CIC website.

  1. Please complete questions 1 through 10 of the application form CIT0001E (PDF, * 227 KB).
  2. The fee for this application can be paid by credit/debit card (PDF, * 24 KB), postal order or bank draft made payable to the Canadian High Commission.  We do not accept personal cheques or cash. Fees are non-refundable.
  3. Please provide applicant’s original long form birth certificate showing Canadian parent’s name. A certified copy is also acceptable.
  4. Please provide parent's proof of Canadian citizenship. This would be their Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship document. Please note that commemorative certificates are not proof of Canadian citizenship, nor are Canadian passports. Please note also that baptismal certificates issued in Québec and Québec birth certificates issued prior to 1994 are no longer acceptable as proof of Canadian citizenship. Information on how to obtain a valid Québec birth certificate can be found on the following website: or by contacting Québec House at: 59 Pall Mall, London SW1Y 5JH, 020 7766 5900.
  5. If the applicant's Canadian parent lived outside of Canada for more than four years prior to February 15, 1977 please provide one of the following:

    • The Canadian parent's original UK birth certificate.
    • The Canadian parent's original UK naturalization certificate.
    • If the Canadian parent has UK nationality as his/her father is British, please enclose the Canadian parent’s original long form Canadian Birth Certificate and the grandfather's original UK birth certificate.
    • A letter or email from UK National Archives advising if there is a record of the Canadian parent having acquired UK nationality prior to February 15, 1977. Contact or 0208 876 444. Please note that a similar letter may be required concerning the status of Canadian born grandparents who lived in the UK prior to February 15, 1977.

    Please note: If the parent has lived in any other country for more than four years prior to February 15, 1977 it will be necessary to obtain the same information regarding their status in that country. If the Canadian parent became a Canadian citizen after February 15, 1977 then it is not necessary to provide proof of status in another country.
  6. If you were born prior to January 1, 1947, please provide your parents’ marriage certificate.
  7. If the applicant is using a name that is different from the name on her/his birth certificate or a previous citizenship certificate, please provide the original name change or marriage document.
  8. Please provide two photographs as per specifications.
  9. Applicants 18 years of age and over need to provide two pieces of signature id. We accept photocopies of passports, driving licences, bank cards, National Insurance cards and student identification.
  10. A postage fee for the secure return of your documents will be added to the total cost of the application.
  11. It would be useful if you would include an email address along with your other contact details.

Please remember to notify our office of any change of address.

Completed applications should be returned to: Canadian High Commission, Consular Services, Macdonald House, 38 Grosvenor Street, London W1K 4AA.

Note: To view the PDF version of a document you may require Acrobat Reader available free of charge from Adobe or other software capable of viewing PDF files. An accessible version of Acrobat Reader, which includes support for screen readers, is also available. Alternatively, you can convert a PDF file to HTML or ASCII text by using one of Adobe’s conversion services..


Date Modified: