Please refer directly to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website for eligibility information, detailed instructions, and application forms for a proof of Canadian citizenship document. Applications for search of citizenship records and applications to renounce Canadian citizenship are also available on the CIC website.
Please take note of the following information which is specific to submitting proof of Canadian citizenship applications through the Canadian High Commission, London:
- Processing of routine applications for Canadian citizenship currently takes up to 12 to 15 months. The initial processing takes place at the Canadian High Commission. Original documentation submitted with an application is returned to the applicant after the initial processing in London within 6 to 8 weeks. The application is then forwarded to the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Forward planning is strongly recommended as processing can sometimes take as long as two years.
- We accept original documents or certified copies made by UK notaries or solicitors.
- The requirement to provide two pieces of signature-bearing identification is for adults (18+) only.
- If the applicant's Canadian parent lived outside of Canada for more than four years prior to February 15, 1977 please provide one of the following:
- The Canadian parent's original UK birth certificate.
- The Canadian parent's original UK naturalization certificate.
- If the Canadian parent has UK nationality as his/her parent is British, please enclose the Canadian parent’s original long form Canadian birth certificate and his/her parent’s original UK birth certificate.
- A letter or email from UK National Archives advising if there is a record of the Canadian parent having acquired UK nationality prior to February 15, 1977. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 876 444. A similar letter may be required concerning the status of Canadian born grandparents who lived in the UK prior to February 15, 1977.
- Please note: If the parent has lived in any other country for more than four years prior to February 15, 1977 it will be necessary to obtain the same information regarding their status in that country. If the Canadian parent became a Canadian citizen after February 15, 1977 then it is not necessary to provide proof of status in another country.
- It would be useful to include an email address along with your other contact details on the application form.
The fee for citizenship applications should be paid on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website as indicated on their instruction page. Please print your receipt and include it alongside your completed application.
Please note that a postage fee will apply for the return of your documents, visit the Fees and Methods of payment page for more information.
- Completed applications should be sent to us at: Canadian High Commission, Consular Services, Macdonald House, 38 Grosvenor Street, London W1K 4AA.
Other citizenship related topics