Replacement or update of Canadian citizenship
Processing of routine applications for Canadian citizenship currently takes up to 12 to 15 months. The initial processing of applications takes place at the Canadian High Commission — London (six to eight weeks).
The application is then forwarded to the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Original documents are returned to the client after the initial processing in London.
Please note: it is not possible to obtain a status report from the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship, nor is it possible to trace an application made from abroad on the CIC website.
- Please complete questions one through 10 of form CIT0001E (PDF * 319 KB).
- The fee for this application can be paid by credit/debit card (PDF * 24 KB), postal order or bank draft made payable to the Canadian High Commission. Please do not send cash though the post. We do not accept personal cheques. Fees are non-refundable.
- Please provide whichever of the following is applicable: a certificate of Canadian Citizenship (large Commemorative and/or miniature and/or pink transmittal copy) or Registration of Birth Abroad certificate or Certificate of Retention. If your proof of Canadian citizenship has been lost or stolen please provide an original, or a certified copy of, a long form birth certificate. Please note: baptismal certificates issued in Québec are no longer acceptable as proof of Canadian citizenship nor are Québec birth certificates issued prior to 1994. Information on how to obtain a valid Québec birth certificate can be found on the following website: www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca or by contacting:
59 Pall Mall
London, SW1Y 5JH
- If the applicant is using a name that is different from the name on her/his previous certificate please provide the original name change or marriage document.
- Please provide two photographs as per specifications.
- Applicants 18 years of age and over need to provide two pieces of signature id. We accept photocopies of passports, driving licences, bank cards, National Insurance cards and student identification.
- A postage fee for the secure return of your documents will be added to the total cost of the application.
Please remember to notify our office of any change of address.
Return completed applications to:
Canadian High Commission,
38 Grosvenor Street,
London W1K 4AA
* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page.