Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Passports and Consular Services

Driving Licences

International Driving Licences (IDL)

International driving licences are issued by the Canadian or Provincial Automobile Associations.

To obtain an international driving licence from abroad, please consult the International Driving Permit section of the Consular Affairs Information and Assistance for Canadians Abroad website.

Additional information can be viewed on the Canadian Automobile Association website or contact the CAA at:

Canadian Automobile Association
1145 Hunt Club Road, Suite 200
Ottawa (ON), K1V 0Y3
Tel: 001 613-247-0117
Fax: 011 613-247-0118

United Kingdom / Canada Licence Exchange

There is an agreement on the exchange of driver's licences between the UK and Canada.

Please be advised that unless you can provide proof that you took your Canadian test in a standard transmission vehicle, you will be granted a British licence that will allow you to drive only an automatic transmission vehicle.

Further details can be viewed on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency website, or contact the agency on 0870 240 0009.

Canadian Driving Licence

To enquire about obtaining, renewing or replacing a Canadian driving licence, please contact your provincial or territorial licencing office:

UK Driving Licence

To obtain a United Kingdom driving licence, please consult the UK government Driver licensing website.

Additional information can also be viewed on the Driving Licences section of the Citizens Advice Bureau website.


Date Modified: