Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Passports and Consular Services

Oaths, affidavits and statutory declarations

Please note that the High Commission does not provide notarial services which could be provided by a local UK solicitor or notary public.  The federal Canada Evidence Act provides that affidavits or statutory declarations executed abroad before authorized persons (such as UK based solicitors and notary publics) and bearing that person’s name and seal of office are valid, have the same force and effect as if taken in Canada by an authorized person, and will be admitted in evidence in Canada without further proof.  If you are asked to have an affidavit or statutory declaration signed before an officer at the Canadian High Commission, please provide the requesting organisation with the above information.

On the rare occasion when there is no local alternative we can witness a person’s signature on a document such as an oath, affidavit or statutory declaration. These documents would generally be for use in Canada, but a foreign government may also require a Canadian citizen to make a declaration at the High Commission. An example of this would be in the case of a foreign marriage, where a person has to declare that they are single.

If you attend the High Commission to have your signature witnessed, please bring your passport or other valid photo ID bearing your signature.  Should you require a witness other than the signing officer at the High Commission, you will need to arrange to bring that witness with you.

If you live some distance from London you may wish to contact one of our Honorary Consuls in Edinburgh, Belfast or Cardiff, to see if they are available to assist you.

Please see the additional information provided under our Notarial services page.


Date Modified: