Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Discover Canada
  4. >
  5. Visas and Immigration

Studying in Canada: Study permits

Important! Changes to the International Student Program will come into force June 01, 2014. Learn more at

To apply for a study permit at this visa office, you must be a citizen or legal resident of a country that is served by this visa office.

  • Who should apply
    Find out if you are eligible to study in Canada and if you need a study permit.
  • How to apply
  • Working while you study
    Working on campus, co-op and internship programs, graduate assistants, teaching assistants, health care students, working off campus.
  • Spouses and common-law partners
    Options available to a spouse or common-law partner accompanying a student to Canada.
  • Your children
    Whether your minor children are applying independently or accompanying you, they have special requirements and may need their own study permits.
  • After applying
    How your application will be processed and how you will be informed of the decision.
  • Arriving
    What to do when you arrive in Canada.
  • Returning Students
    If you were studying in Canada and are now outside Canada, check here for information on returning to Canada to continue your studies.
  • After your Studies
    Do you plan to work in Canada or immigrate to Canada after your studies? 

Canada’s Biometric Requirement:

As of September 4, 2013, you may need to give your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) and pay a biometric fee of $85 CAD when applying for a study permit. Find out if you need to give your biometrics.

If you submit your application in person at a visa application centre (VAC) that offers biometric services before the date the requirement takes effect for your country, you will not have to pay the biometric fee and you can get VAC application services at no cost.



Supplemental content


Date Modified: