Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates

Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates are issued by the province or territory where the event occurred. Listed below are links to the relevant department in each province or territory.

Getting married?

In Canada

Marriage regulations in Canada are governed at the provincial level. The following notes are provided for information, however, it should be noted that regulations change without notice. It is advisable to contact the city/town/village hall of the place where you intend the marriage to take place, to find whether any municipal regulations might also apply. You may also wish to contact the appropriate provincial vital statistics office for information on obtaining marriage certificates and applying for a marriage license.

Applying for a marriage license

A marriage license is required before getting married. The license itself does not mean that you are married but that you can get married, within that province, at any time during the next three months. To obtain a license you must apply in person to the marriage license issuer in the community in which you intend to get married. The Director of Vital Statistics will provide a list of issuers for a particular area on request. Only one of you need apply for the license but you will need to supply the relevant documents for both partners. As well, a fee will be required at the time of the application. Please contact the appropriate Vital Statistics Office beforehand in order to confirm these details.

The Marriage Ceremony

You may choose to have either a religious or civil ceremony, either type must be witnessed by at least two people. Religious ceremonies can be performed by any religious representatives registered with the Division of Vital Statistics under the Marriage Act for that Province. Civil ceremonies are performed by Marriage Commissioners, who are appointed by the Director of Vital Statistics and a fee is charged for this type of ceremony.

Registering the Marriage

The religious representative or Marriage Commissioner who performs your wedding ceremony will also assist you in completing the necessary Marriage Registration Forms. These are then sent to the Division of Vital Statistics where your marriage is registered and a legal record is kept.

At the time of the marriage you may be provided with a statement of marriage. This is a document that can be used in the interim period to show that you are legally married. However, you should apply for your marriage certificate from the Director of Vital Statistics, again there is a fee for obtaining a marriage certificate and you should contact the Vital Statistics Office in order to find out the cost.

The following information provides contact details for each province:

Government Services
Alberta Registries P.O. Box 2023
Edmonton AB T5J 4W7
Phone: (780) 427-7013

British Columbia
BC Vital Statistics Agency
P.O. Box 9657 Stn. Prov. Govt.
Victoria BC V8W 9P3
Phone: (250) 952-2681
Toll free: 1 800 663-8328
Fax: (250) 952-2527

Vital Statistics Agency
Manitoba Consumer and Corporate Affairs
254 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3C 0B6
Switchboard: (204) 945-3701
Recording: (204) 945-2034/945-0777
Toll free within Manitoba: 1 800 282-8069 ext. 3701
Fax: (204) 948-3128

New Brunswick
Vital Statistics
Health and Wellness
Suite 203 (2nd floor)
435 King St.
P.O. Box 6000
Fredericton NB E3B 5H1
Phone: (506) 453-2385
Fax: (506) 444-4139

Newfoundland and Labrador
Vital Statistics Division
Government Services Centre
Department of Government Services and Lands
5 Mews Place
P.O. Box 8700
St. John's NF A1B 4J6
Phone: (709) 729-3308Fax: (709) 729-0946

Northwest Territories
Registrar-General of Vital Statistics
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of Northwest Territories
Bag 9
Inuvik NT X0E 0T0
Phone: (867) 777-7420
Toll free: 1 800 661-0830
Fax: (867) 777-3197

Registrar General of Vital Statistics
Nunavut Health and Social Services
Bag 3
Rankin Inlet NU X0C 0G0
Phone: (867) 645-8002
Toll free within Canada: 1 800 661-0833
Fax: (867) 645-8092

Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8
Toronto and out of province: (416) 325-8305
Toll free within Ontario: 1 800 461-2156
Fax: (807) 343-7459

Prince Edward Island
Vital Statistics Division
Health and Social Services
35 Douses Road
P.O. Box 3000
Montague PE C0A 1R0
Phone: (902) 838-0880
Toll free: 1 877 320-1253
Fax: (902) 838-0883

In Quebec City (by mail or in person):
Le Directeur de l'état civil
205, rue Montmagny
Quéébec QC G1N 4T2
Phone: (418) 643-3900
Fax: (418) 646-3255

Elsewhere in Quebec:
Toll free: 1 800 567-3900
Fax: (418) 646-3255

In Montreal (by mail or in person):
Le Directeur de l'état civil
6th Floor, 2050, rue de Bleury
Montréal QC h2A 2J5
(Place-des-Arts metro station)
Phone: (514) 864-3900
Fax: (514) 864-4563


Vital Statistics
Saskatchewan Health
1942 Hamilton Street
Regina SK S4P 3V7
Phone: (306) 787-3092
Toll free within Saskatchewan: 1 800 458-1179
Fax: (306) 787-2288


Vital Statistics
Government of Yukon
4th Floor, 204 Lambert St.
P.O. Box 2703
Whitehorse YK Y1A 2C6
Phone: (867) 667-5207
Toll free within Yukon: 1 800 661-0408 ext 5207
Fax: (867) 393-6486

In Australia

Marriages in Australia are conducted and registered in Australia in accordance with the Marriage Act 1961. The basic requirements for marriage in Australia are:

  • the bride and groom must have attained the age of 18 years
  • you must not be married to another person
  • you must complete a Notice of Intended Marriage form and lodge it with your celebrant at least one clear calendar month before the date of the ceremony, you can lodge the form up to six months before the date of your marriage. The celebrant who is to perform your ceremony will provide this form for you.
  • birth certificates must be produced to your celebrant; and
  • if previously married, a death certificate for your deceased spouse, or a Decree Absolute must be produced.

Please note that this information is very general in nature and that requirements may vary depending on particular circumstances. Further information is available from Australian authorities in your state.