New or Replacement Passports for Children

Applications to obtain new or replacement passports for children can either be downloaded and printed from the internet, picked up from our office, or may be mailed to you. If you would like to download the PPTC 042 Child Passport Application (Abroad), (PDF * 361 KB).

The normal processing time for new passports is 20 working days after submission of a fully completed application with supporting documentation.

Five year passports are issued to children up to 16 years of age.

Please submit the following to obtain a new passport:

  • One completed Child Passport Application (PPTC 042) (PDF * 361 KB) for applicants under 16 years of age
  • Original proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate)
  • Your child’s most recent Canadian passport (not applicable for first time applicants)
  • Two identical passport photographs (the back of one photo must be certified and signed by your guarantor and must include the name and address of the photographer and the date the photograph was taken)
  • All documents pertaining to custody of, mobility of, or access to the child
  • The non-refundable processing fee

Both parents are required to participate in obtaining passport services for the child and to sign the application form. The other parent may be contacted at some point during the processing period.

Applications may be submitted:

  • in person in Canberra during the hours of 09:00 - 12:00, Monday to Friday.
  • in person in Sydney by appointment. Applications may also be dropped off without an appointment; however the application will not be reviewed by a Passport Examiner at that time.
  • by MAIL. Please ensure that you provide your local contact details so that we can reach you to clarify information about your application, if required.

My child is a newborn and does not have proof of Canadian citizenship yet. How can I get a passport for them to travel?

Proof of Canadian citizenship is required to support each passport application. If your child was born abroad and you have not yet applied for their Canadian citizenship certificate, you will need to do that before submitting a passport application. If possible, you should consider deferring all travel plans until the certificate is received from the processing centre in Canada. For citizenship cards, this can be a lengthy process so we urge you to submit the application as soon as possible after the birth of your child. The current processing time for proof of citizenship certificates is available from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada – Check processing times.

If travel plans are imminent, a limited validity passport can be issued to a child on submission of a fully completed passport application and proof of citizenship application along with all original supporting documentation as well as your child's proof of travel. As your child does not have citizenship documents, you will need to submit the child’s original foreign birth certificate showing both parents’ names, original marriage certificate of the parents (optional), as well as the following documents from one of the parents: original proof of Canadian citizenship, current or most recent Canadian passport, and one other document to support the identity of the parent. Our passport officers will assess your case and determine the necessity of issuing a limited validity passport to meet your child’s travel needs.

The limited validity passport issued to my child is about to expire. How can I get this extended?

Your child's passport cannot be extended. You will need to apply for a new passport and submit a completed application, photos, fees and documentation.

The other parent is living in another country. How do I get their signature for consent?

Both parents are required to participate in the application process for the issuance of a child’s passport. If one parent is living in another country, you do not need to have them sign the application form which will be submitted to us. Their personal details (name, date of birth, address, contact telephone numbers, etc.) must be provided. The parent living abroad will be required to contact the nearest Canadian passport issuing office in their jurisdiction to make arrangements for them to complete the PPTC 028 Acknowledgement/Consent to Provision of Passport Facilities for a Minor Child. This form is to be completed and signed in the presence of the passport officer. The parent living abroad must bring their own passport when they approach the Canadian passport issuing office in their jurisdiction for identification and signature verification. After it has been completed and signed, the form will be faxed to our office by the passport officer so we may continue processing.

The other parent is not able to sign the passport form. What can I do?

Where applicable, the parent or guardian submitting the application should provide copies of all legal documents pertaining to the custody of the child.

If it is not possible to obtain the signature of the other parent, you must provide what details you do have, i.e. name, date of birth, address, contact telephone numbers, last known contact, details of your attempts to locate the other parent, etc., and advise the passport officer when you submit the application that the other parent cannot be located.

The first passport was issued with the baby photo. How can I get the passport photo updated?

Once the passport has been produced, the photograph cannot be updated. However, if you wish to have child’s current photo appear on their passport you will need to submit a new application, fee, photos and the required documentation.

My child does not know a guarantor for two years. What can I do to obtain a guarantor for my child’s passport application?

When the guarantor signs on a child’s passport application, they are confirming they have known the applying parent for a period of two years or more, not the child. They should have knowledge that the child is the child of the applying parent and they must confirm that the details on the application form are correct in addition to certifying the back of one of the photos of the child. However, they are not required to have known the child for two years or more, as would be impossible in the case of newborn babies.

  • Please see the Requirements for Canadians abroad. (Or refer to the section titled ‘Declaration of Guarantor’ on the passport application instructions.)
  • Be someone who has known you for at least two (2) years on a level well enough to be able to confirm your identity. They do not have to be someone you know on a close personal friend basis. (Please refer to the section titled ‘Declaration of Guarantor’ on the passport application instructions.)