Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


Marriage in Canada

Each province or territory establishes their own regulations governing marriage within their jurisdiction. Anyone wishing to marry in Canada should contact the authorities in the provincial or territorial jurisdiction in which the marriage will be solemnized.

For marriages which were performed in Canada, you can obtain a marriage certificate from the Vital Statistics office in the province or territory where the marriage took place.

Note: All Canadian certificates must be legalised for Belgium and Luxembourg. Please consult our webpage Legalizations of Canadian documents.

Marriage overseas

Canadian consular officials do not perform marriage ceremonies. It is not possible to get married at a Canadian embassy or consulate.

Marriages that are legally performed in a foreign country are usually valid in Canada, and you do not need to register them in Canada. 

General information on Marriage Overseas

Marriage in Belgium or Luxembourg

To register for marriage you need to contact the local city hall where you wish to be married to confirm the marriage formalities.

More information:

Please note that 1 of the 2 future spouses must be registered in Belgium or Luxembourg as a resident in order to proceed with a marriage. The wedding must normally be celebrated in the town where one of the spouses legally resides.

For those couples who wish to have a religious wedding, please bear in mind that a civil wedding must always take place before the religious wedding can be held.

As part of the marriage registration process, the local authorities will require you to submit several documents, among others:

  • A recent birth certificate. To obtain a Canadian (long form) birth certificate you will have to contact the Vital Statistics Office in your Canadian province or territory of birth.
  • A “Certificat de coutume” or Proof of law
  • Proof of citizenship (based on your Canadian passport)
  • Proof of residence and proof that you are legally free to marry. This evidence is accepted in the form of an affidavit that you must swear in person in front of the appropriate authority at the Canadian Embassy in Brussels or the Consulate in Luxembourg.

These last three documents can be obtained at the Canadian Embassy in Brussels. To obtain these documents you are requested to make an appointment by email. Please be sure to bring your valid Canadian passport and proof of citizenship to your appointment. The fee information for this service can be found on the Consular Fees page.

Please note that the Embassy or Consulate does not provide translation services. The documents issued by the Embassy of Canada are only available in English or French, you will have to obtain an official translation from a “traducteur assermenté”. You can obtain a list of those professionals on the website of “Directory of translators and interpreters”.

The local authorities in Belgium request that all documents issued by the Embassy of Canada are legalised by the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Legalisation of documents, rue des Petits Carmes 27, 1000 Brussels.

Sponsoring your spouse for Immigration to Canada after Marriage

Canadians who marry non-Canadians must note that the act of marriage does not confer Canadian citizenship upon the spouse. If the couple wish to return to Canada to reside, an application for a permanent resident visa must be made on behalf of the non-Canadian spouse. Information on the application process is available from the Visa Section of the Embassy of Canada to France. Please note that it can take several months for a permanent resident visa application to be processed. You should plan accordingly.


Date Modified: