Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling in China

Passport Services

Guidelines specific to applicants in mainland China

How to apply

In person:

Passport applications may be submitted in person to the Canadian office responsible for the province where you reside in China, during designated Passport Service hours.

By mail:

If you have previously been issued a Canadian passport, you may submit your application by commercial courier to the Consular Section of the Canadian office responsible for the province where you reside in China.

Applications sent in by mail should include an EMS label filled out with the applicant's name and address (address must be written in Chinese) for the delivery of the new passport.

Guarantors in China

Effective December 9, 2013, for Child Applications and traditional Adult Applications (non-Simplified Renewal) which require a guarantor, the guarantor can either be an eligible Canadian passport holder, or a member of an eligible occupation. An occupational guarantor does not have to be a Canadian citizen, but MUST be included in one of the listed groups specified in the application form and be currently practising their profession in the jurisdiction of the office where you are submitting your passport application.

IMPORTANT: If the occupational guarantor is a local dentist, medical doctor, dean/head of university/college, pharmacist, veterinarian, police officer, or signing officer of a bank, he/she can be of any nationality, however, as foreign nationals cannot practise law in mainland China, foreign judges, lawyers and notaries residing in China are ineligible as guarantors.

First Canadian passport (Child passport application)

Both parents and the child must be present for the first passport application, in person at the Canadian office responsible for the province where the child resides in China. If one parent resides outside of mission's jurisdiction, he/she must report to the nearest Passport Office or Canadian mission abroad to complete form PPTC028: Acknowledgement/Consent to Provision of Passport Facilities for a Minor Child.

If no proof of citizenship has yet been issued to a child under two years of age, a complete citizenship application must be submitted for the child either prior to, or at the same time as, the first passport application. In such cases, a passport application can only be accepted if there is proof of international travel (air ticket or booking confirmation must be presented) or, in cases where neither parent is a Chinese citizen, a statement detailing a residency requirement (i.e. the requirement to apply for a Chinese visa). Longer processing times are common for these applications, and first passports issued to children under two years of age with no proof of Canadian citizenship have a limited validity of two years. 

The People's Republic of China does not recognise dual citizenship. Canadian children born in China to one Chinese parent, or to Canadian citizens residing in China with Chinese identification, may be considered Chinese citizens by local authorities and a Chinese visa may not be issued in the child's Canadian passport. Parents are advised to contact the Entry and Exit Administration Division of the nearest Public Security Bureau for more information.

Guardians (Child passport application)

In cases where children reside in China with a legal or de facto guardian and both parents reside outside of China, the details of both parents should be written in Section 2 (Information on Applicant) of the Child Passport Application as usual, but the declaration/signature block should be left empty.

The details of the guardian in China should be written in Section 5 (Declaration of Applicant), and the guardian should sign the declaration in that section. On the bottom of page 2 of the application form, the guardian should write down his/her phone number.

A piece of personal identification of the guardian must be submitted and an English or French translation is required if it is issued in another language.

When the application is submitted, the passport examiner will release a file number to the guardian, who informs the parents of the file number and has them to report to the nearest Passport Office or Canadian mission abroad to complete Acknowledgement/Consent to Provision of Passport Facilities for a Minor Child (PPTC028) forms, and to submit a written statement confirming:

"I the undersigned, (name), as the parent, custodial parent or legal guardian, authorize (name of guardian) to apply for a passport on behalf of child (name) and the passport, when it is issued, may be released to that person."

The statement must also outline the reason why they themselves are unable to apply.

Lost, stolen and damaged passports

If your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged, report it by sending a completed Declaration concerning a lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found Canadian travel document (PPTC 203, PDF) by fax or email to the Canadian office responsible for the province where you are in China, or by appearing  in person during passport services hours.

For more detailed information, please visit the section of Passport Canada’s website on Lost, stolen, inaccessible, damaged or found passports.

* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page

Supplemental content


Date Modified: