Ensure that you are in possession of valid travel documents when travelling.
Increasing numbers of Canadians have been delayed from returning to Canada. Ensure you have all necessary documents to return to Canada without delays!
Airlines leaving the Dominican Republic only recognize a valid Canadian passport as the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document when you board the plane, even if you are a Canadian citizen returning home.
Permanent residents (immigrants living in Canada who are not yet Canadian citizens) need a valid permanent resident card, accompanied by their passport of origin or identity document to return to Canada.
- Canadian citizens may face delays or may not be allowed to board the plane or other conveyance if they present other documents such as a:Canadian citizenship card ;
- Certificate of Indian Status ;
- Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)/Enhanced Identification Card (EIC);
- NEXUS card (used where the program is available);
- Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card used in FAST lanes.
If you do not have a valid Canadian passport and are not allowed to board the plane, you will have to apply for a replacement passport at the Embassy of Canada to the Dominican Republic. Forms are available online and the normal processing time is 20 business days.
Requests for expedited services are handled on a case-by-case basis.
- Date Modified: