Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Living/Travelling in France

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) PASSPORT

1. I am in France or Monaco. How do I renew my Canadian passport?

If your adult passport is close to its expiry date or has expired February 1st 2019 or after (NEW), has not been damaged, declared lost or stolen, complete the Adult Abroad Simplified Renewal Passport Application (PPTC482).  Check all the eligibility criterias before completing this simplified application. 

If your passport expired on January 31st 2019 or before, complete the Adult Abroad General Passport Application (PPTC040).

If you need a passport for a child under the age of 16, complete the Child Abroad General Passport Application (PPTC042).

Note: If you are having trouble opening files, try another internet browser, such as Internet Explorer, or save the document to your computer before opening it. 

2. How can I submit my passport application in France (including overseas departments and regions) or from Monaco?

By mail :

Passport applications must be sent by traceable mail or registered mail to the Consular Service of the Embassy of Canada in Paris, regardless of where you live in France or the Principality of Monaco:

Consular Service
Embassy of Canada
130 rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré>
75008 PARIS

In person at the embassy, by appointment only:

Any applicant who submits a passport application in person must be 16 years of age or older. If you are unable to submit your own application in person, a third party may do so under certain conditions: acceptable third party. 

An appointment is required to submit an application in person at the consular reception desk of the Embassy.

It is also possible to drop off your complete application in a sealed envelope addressed to the Consular Service with the guards at the entrance of the Embassy in Paris between 9 am to 5 pm (without entering the embassy, i.e. without an appointment).

3. How can I collect my passport?

By registered mail (default mode of return):

If you sent your application by mail, your passport will be returned to you by registered mail. You do not have to provide an envelope or pay extra for this postal service.

If you submitted your application in person (by appointment) and chose the option of receiving your passport by mail, it will be sent to you by registered mail. You do not have to provide an envelope or pay extra for this postal service.

In person at the Embassy:

If you submitted your application in person (by appointment) and chose the option to come and collect your passport in person, you must wait for the email notifying you that your passport is ready to be picked up and to make an appointment. Do not book this appointment until you have received this email notification.

If you authorize a third party to pick up your passport (by appointment), this person must be provided with a signed letter of authorization from you and a copy of your valid ID. This person must also present his or her own valid photo ID with signature.

4. How soon will I get my passport?

The processing time for a passport application is 20 business days (approximately 4 weeks), excluding postal delivery time, upon submission of a duly completed file.

5. How can I expedite the processing time and get my passport more quickly?

Since passports are printed in Canada, it is not possible to expedite processing. However, if you have an urgent trip (in less than 20 business days), with proof of travel, or if you need a passport to obtain a residence permit in France, please contact us by email at paris-, providing your full contact information, a description of the situation, and the proof of the emergency in an attachment. Please note that additional fees apply and that the applicant must appear in person at the Embassy in Paris at least once during the processing of the application (by appointment only).

6. I am a dual citizen. Can I travel to Canada with my French passport or a passport of another country?

No, you must present a valid Canadian passport to travel to Canada. Since November 2016, all Canadian citizens who travel by air to or transit through Canada must do so with their Canadian passport. If you are travelling to Canada in less than 10 days and are unable to apply for an emergency Canadian passport (see question 5), you may be able to receive a Special Authorization. Find out if you are eligible for a Special Authorization. Please note that the Special Authorization is a temporary measure, and we encourage you to obtain a Canadian passport.

7. I am Canadian. Can my child who was born in France, Monaco or elsewhere in the world obtain a Canadian passport?

You can apply for a Canadian passport for your child as soon as s/he has been determined to be a Canadian citizen and has been issued a Canadian citizenship certificate. You must have an original citizenship certificate to apply for a Canadian passport (see question 22). For more information on Canadian citizenship, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions on Citizenship, questions 1, 2 and 3.

8. I am Canadian and would like to travel to Canada soon with my child, but I have not yet received his/her Canadian citizenship certificate in order to apply for a passport. What can I do?

Please send us an email at indicating the child's full name, date of birth, date you submitted the citizenship certificate application or date the application was received at the embassy (according to your postal delivery notification), proof of travel and/or travel date of your child, if available, as well as your full contact details. 

9. I am applying for a passport for my whole family. Can I send everything in the same envelope?

Yes, you can include multiple applications in one envelope. You can also make a payment for the total of the processing fees for all applications (see question 10). Please attach photos and supporting documents to the appropriate application to facilitate processing. Once processing is complete, all passports will be returned together by registered mail.

10. How do I pay the fees for one or more passport applications?

Please pay the fees online via the IRCC website and submit a copy of the payment receipt with your application(s). It is possible to provide a single online payment receipt for the fees of several passport applications submitted at the same time in the same envelope. You will find all the information on passport service fees and payment methods on the Accepted methods of payment page of our website.

11. I’m nervous about submitting original documents. Will they be returned?

Yes, your original documents will be returned to you by registered mail with your new passport.

12. Will my previous passport be returned?

Yes, your previous passport will be returned to you if in Section 2 of the Adult Abroad Simplified Renewal Passport Application or in Section 3 of the Adult Abroad General Passport Application or in Section 3 of the Child Abroad General Passport Application you check the box next to “Yes, please return it to me.”

13. Can I extend the validity of my passport?

No, passport validity is not extendable. You must apply for a new passport.

14. Can I get more pages added to my passport?

No, you must apply for a new passport.

15. My passport has been lost / stolen / damaged. What should I do?

If your passport has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must notify us immediately by email at . Please see this page for more information and the list of documents to submit for a new passport.

16. I have changed my surname (through marriage, divorce, legal name change, etc.).  Can I obtain a new passport?

Yes. You must complete an Adult Abroad General Passport Application (PPTC040), pay the processing fee and enclose supporting documents, if applicable. Your new name must appear on the identification document(s) that you must provide in support of your application (e.g. valid driver's license, valid passport from another country, residence permit, etc.). Please refer to this page for the list of additional documents to be provided.

17. Who can I use as a guarantor?

Your guarantor must know you personally for at least 2 years. S/He must be easily reachable by telephone during the processing of your passport application. You can select your guarantor from the following two options:

1. Your guarantor is a member of an occupational group (judge, pharmacist, dentist, notary, doctor, lawyer, etc.). S/He does not have to be a Canadian citizen; however s/he must be practising her/his profession in France (including the French overseas territories) or in the Principality of Monaco at the time s/he completes and signs your form, your photograph, and the copy of your identification document after having seen the original. (Retired professionals are generally not eligible).


2. Your guarantor has a valid Canadian passport (does not need to be in an occupational group). To be eligible as guarantor, s/he must hold a five or ten-year Canadian passport that is still valid or has been expired for less than one year. To act as guarantor, the Canadian passport holder must be 18 years of age or over and must have been at least 16 years old when her/his passport was issued. S/He can reside in France, Canada or elsewhere in the world.

A member of your family or another person residing at the same address as you can act as guarantor provided that this person meets the requirements mentioned above in options 1 or 2.

Please see this page for more information on choosing your guarantor.

18. Can I be guarantor for my child's passport application?

If you are the applicant (parent or legal guardian, whether you are Canadian or not) for a child’s passport application, you cannot act as guarantor. You cannot be both applicant and guarantor at the same time. However, the other parent or legal guardian can act as guarantor provided that s/he meets the eligibility criteria mentioned in question 17. 

19. I do not have a guarantor. What can I do?

If you do not have a guarantor, please request the Statutory Declaration In Lieu of Guarantor (PPTC 132) form by sending an email to explaining why you do not have a guarantor.  You will need to have your signature on the form witnessed before an official authorised by law to administer an oath or solemn affirmation. This official could be:

           - a Canadian diplomatic or consular representative (fees apply)

          - a lawyer, a notary

This official does not need to know you but you must be able to provide identification to show them. They must also sign one of your photographs on the reverse with the following statement: “This is Exhibit A in support of the applicant’s Statutory Declaration.”

20. Who can I use as a reference?

You can use anyone who is neither a family member nor your guarantor, who is 18 years of age and over, and has known you for at least two years.

A reference must accept that you mention her/his name and contact details on your application form.  S/he may be contacted by phone during the processing of your application.

Please see this page for more information on choosing your references.

21. My photographer has no stamp to put on the back of the photo. What can I do?

The photographer’s name and address and the date the photos were taken can be written by hand on the back of the photos. Please see the passport photos page for more information on the photos.

22. Do you accept photos taken in a photo booth (Photomaton)?

Photos taken in a photo booth (e.g. Photomaton) are not accepted because they do not meet the specifications set out in the instructions of the passport application. Please see the passport photos page for more information on the photos.

23. What proof of Canadian citizenship is acceptable in support of a passport application?

The original of one of the following documents must be submitted with your passport application. Photocopies are not accepted.

If you were born in Canada:

  • Original birth certificate in detailed or abbreviated format, issued by the province or territory where you were born;

    To obtain an original Canadian birth certificate, please contact the provincial or territorial  vital statistics office directly. Contact details for provincial and territorial vital statistics services are available at:
    : If you were born in Quebec, only certificates issued by the Directeur de l’état civil of Quebec after January 1, 1994 are accepted.
  • Original citizenship certificate issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you were born abroad, the original of one of the following documents issued by IRCC:

• Citizenship Certificate;
• Certificate of Naturalization;
• Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad;
• Certificate of Retention of Canadian citizenship.

IMPORTANT: The Commemorative Certificate that accompanied the citizenship card issued between 1977 and 2012 is not proof of citizenship.

Please see the Proof of Canadian Citizenship page for more information.

24. What identification documents are acceptable in support of the passport application?

When applying for a passport, you must provide at least one document to prove your identity.
The ID must:

  • Contain all of the following:
    • Name
    • Date of birth
    • Photo
    • Signature
  • and respect the following criteria:
    • Be valid (not expired);
    • Have been issued by a federal, provincial, territorial or state government authority or by an equivalent authority abroad.

You can submit more than one piece of valid ID if you do not have a single document that contains all of the requested information. Please see the valid ID page for more information.

25. Does my child have to sign her/his passport application and her/his passport?

Children under the age of 16 are not required to sign the application form or her/his passport but children between the ages of 11 and 15 can do so. No one other than the child must sign in the space reserved for this purpose in section 1 of the application.

Important: Never sign your child’s passport or other travel document. A parent’s or legal guardian’s signature makes the document invalid. Print the Signature policy and bring it with you when you travel in case you are asked to sign it.

26. In the event of separation or divorce, who can apply for a passport on behalf of a child?

The parent or tutor who has legal custody of the child and with whom the child habitually resides according to the most recent divorce judgment, separation agreement, or court order must be the applicant parent on the passport application. Where a joint custody provision exists, either parent may apply, but both parents must sign the application. Please note that ALL existing documents that refer to custody of, mobility of, or access to the child must be submitted (not just the most recent document).

We recommend the parents submit a proof of ID along with the application as it might be requested during the process.

27. Must my Canadian passport be valid at least six months before arriving in the country I want to visit?

All countries have their own entry requirements. Read the Travel Advice and Advisories for the entry and exit requirements for each country.

28. How can I reach you?

We invite you to check if an answer to your question is provided on the Embassy website or on the Passport Help Centre page before contacting us. Given the high number of enquiries that we receive each day, it is unfortunately impossible for us to respond individually to the questions for which an answer is already provided on our official websites. If you still cannot find the answer you are looking for, send a detailed email to, specifying your name and telephone number so that we can call you if necessary.

Updated: July 21, 2020




Date Modified: