Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada

France.gc.ca

Breadcrumb

  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Our Offices
  4. >
  5. Contact Us

The Official Residence

At the end of the 17th century, that section of the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré between Rue La Boétie and Place des Ternes was commonly known as Rue du Faubourg du Roule. At the time, the area was still very rural and to make best use of this, Louis XIV arranged for the purchase of the land between the Champs Elysées and the Chaussée du Roule for use as a royal tree nursery.

In 1779, the Comte d'Artois approved the construction of two groups of buildings of which only one, some stables, was built. On the Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré, Lhuillier embellished the portico and entrance with Ionic columns and this later became the site of the residence which is now occupied by the Canadian Ambassador. The residence is located at 135 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.

The Duchess De La Rochefoucauld, daughter of the Comtesse de Fels, who died in 1943, sold the residence to the Government of His Majesty the King in Right of Canada, represented by its Ambassador, General Georges-P. Vanier, on May 12, 1950. The building restoration was carried out by Messrs Jansen and Carlhian.

The Head of mission receive distinguished guests in the official residence on formal occasions, for prestige events and press conferences.

Footer

Date Modified:
2017-11-01