Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada

Notary Services

Canadian consular officials abroad have authority under the Canada Evidence Act and corresponding provincial and territorial statutes to perform a variety of notarial services. These services are offered, however, only when no local service providers exist. Consular officials cannot offer advice on legal issues or represent persons before the courts, nor do they post bail, pay lawyers’ fees or pay fines.

Please note:

  • For reference, here are lists of law firms in Hong Kong and Macao and a link to the Hong Kong Society of Notaries.
  • If you require the following services which could not be provided by a local solicitor or notary public, please contact the Consular Section by phone at (852) 2867-7348 or by email at A fee will be charged for each service provided.
  • For information regarding the fees and method of payment please see the Fees page.

Certified copies

Consular Officers can certify true copies of original Canadian documents such as birth, marriage and death certificates. The person requesting the service will need to present him or herself at the Consulate with the original document and a proof of identity such as a passport or a citizenship card.

Certificate of Non Impediment to Marriage

The laws of some countries require that, before a foreigner may marry within their jurisdiction, he or she produce a “Certificate of Non impediment to Marriage” issued by the authorities of his or her country. There is no specific legislation in Canada authorizing the issue of a Certificate.
Although the Consulate is not in a position to issue such Certificate, our office can provide for a fee, a letter that may satisfy the Hong Kong or Macao SARs authorities.

Hong Kong Certificate of No Criminal Conviction

If you are a Canadian Citizen and need to obtain a “Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (Overseas applicants)” from the Hong Kong Police Force, please visit their website. If required, the Consulate can issue, for a fee, a facilitation letter to assist you.

Authentication of Documents

For information on authentication of Canadian documents for use in Hong Kong or Macao, please contact the Authentication Services Section of Global Affairs Canada.


Date Modified: