Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. For Canadians
  4. >
  5. Passport Services

Marriage in Hong Kong

For information regarding marriages to be performed in Hong Kong.

The Canadian Consulate in Hong Kong does not notarize declarations for use in China.  Please contact the nearest office in the city of where you plan to be married, Beijing, Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Shanghai.

Canadian citizens wishing to marry in China should know that the Marriage Registration Offices have their own procedures and documentary requirements. These requirements may vary between offices. Canadian citizens wishing to marry in China must contact the relevant office in advance for details.

If you are in Canada, you should also consult the website of the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa for additional information. The website address is

As part of the requirement, Canadian citizens who wish to marry in China are required by the Chinese authorities to obtain and sign a declaration in front of a Canadian consular officer. This is a sworn declaration indicating that an individual is single and eligible to marry. The declaration is a legal document which must be attested in person and cannot be done by fax or mail.  You should obtain your declaration from the office which has jurisdiction over the city where you plan to be married.  Please contact the appropriate office for more information Beijing, Chongqing, Guangzhou, and Shanghai.


Date Modified: