Government of Canada
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Government of Canada


  1. Home
  2. >
  3. Bilateral Relations
  4. >
  5. Academic Relations

Practising law in Canada

How is a law degree/professional accreditation obtained abroad evaluated in Canada?

In Common Law jurisdictions (the English-speaking provinces and territories in Canada), in order to practice as a lawyer, foreign applicants - as well as Canadian lawyers with credentials from Quebec or outside Canada - must obtain admission to the Canadian Law Society of a specific province or territory.

Applications must be submitted to the National Committee of Accreditation of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. It is processed through the offices of the Executive Director of the NCA, Professor Vern Krishna, Q.C., at the University of Ottawa Law School, Common Law Section.

For more detailed information please visit the website of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada/Fédération des ordres professionnels du Canada.

The province of Quebec applies civil law and lawyers from foreign countries or other Canadian provinces must apply to the Barreau du Québec, enclosing the requested documents. The application form can be downloaded in ADOBE pdf format: "Avocat provenant d'une autre province ou juriste provenant d'un autre pays " | PDF * (440 KB)

Further information please contact Louise Bertrand tel.001+514-954 3460 (extension 3253),

or you can write to:

Comité des équivalences du Barreau du Québec
445, Bvld Saint-Laurent, bureau 400
Montréal, Québec, Canada H2Y 378

More information can be found here:
Gouvernement du Québec - Immigration et Communautés culturelles

* If you require a plug-in or a third-party software to view this file, please visit the alternative formats section of our help page .


Date Modified: